View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 French POV 
Admin

Post French POV
Do you think an AoS series written from the French point of view is feasible?

Personally, I think it would make a nice change. I'd buy it. :mrgreen:

Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:09 am
Profile YIM
Commander

Like yourself, I'd buy it. It would be a change of pace, although the use of the Republican Navy by France/Bonaparte would raise some issues for the series.
Character development and political intrigue within the French hierarchy would be central themes. Most of the sailing action would, of necessity, take place aboard smaller vessels (brigs, corvettes, frigates) and be highlighted by actions against British merchant ships more than naval vessels (Not that ship-to-ship engagements couldn't happen, but believability would suffer if the protagonist won too often or escaped from prison more than once.). I would foresee the naval engagements as being more of the brush in the fog type of incident, with guns fired at long range and escape from close action the most common event.
Could such a series succeed? I think so, if the writer recognizes the hazards involved and doesn't create a French 'Nelson.'
Does that make any sense?
Charity

Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:28 am
Admin

Seems like you've given it more than just a passing thought. :mrgreen: Any chance of you taking on the challenge?

Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:21 am
Profile YIM
Commander

I actually wrote a short story as a middle schooler with a Contre Amiral as my protagonist. It's something I may well revisit in the future. Currently I'm working on a RN novel tentatively titled 'The Irish Captain.' I have it in mind to write the main character's back story as a midshipman during the later years of the American Revolution and first years of the ensuing peace and I'm pondering writing another book, likely called 'The Midshipmen's Berth' that would be a gathering of characters living together in the cockpit of a 74.
As for writing a French Navy novel, once I have a book or two in circulation it'll become much more of a focus. Victor Suthren wrote his three-book series based on the Seven Year's War, but I don't think there is much out there, so it is fairly "virgin" territory. I just wouldn't want to write a 'Captain From Connecticut" type story, even though I feel that may be Forester's best novel (Yes, I think it's definitely a cut above any of the Hornblowers.)
Any thoughts out there from potential readers? :?:
Charity

Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:30 am
Midshipman

I have always considered the area under-utilized. So many great stories there to be told. The only ones I've read were Victor Suthren's "The Black Cockade" and "A King's Ransom" both from the perspective of a French Lieutenant in the service of King Louis. Suthren is Canadian so his settings are mostly around the Fortress of Louisburg and Nova Scotia and his hero an Acadian officer. Well written and great stories.

I always wished there were more books written by the French regarding the era in the AOS....perhaps there are, just never made it to the English translation, or American press. They had some fantastic individual officers, some success, but overall, bad luck. They made better land warriors than sea ones. But, ...oh .... could they build ships! :)

Bob

Bob

Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:27 am
Midshipman

Another thought......a good story line might be based on the ill fated attempt by the French to invade Ireland. Then their running back to France with Pellew in Indefatigable and his lads hot on their tail! The action where Droits de Homme was sunk and Amazon lost. They even landed troops in Ireland, but were defeated by the British garrison weren't they? Then there was also the almost comic invasion of England by a frigate load of troops (mostly convicts in uniform) on the South coast of England somewhere, which were promptly rounded up and clapped in irons!

Lots of great background material for someone who had the talent to tell a good tale! :)

Bob

Bob

Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:38 am
Admin

They even landed troops in Ireland, but were defeated by the British garrison weren't they? Then there was also the almost comic invasion of England by a frigate load of troops (mostly convicts in uniform) on the South coast of England somewhere, which were promptly rounded up and clapped in irons!

.....unless I am much mistaken, some of this is covered in Tom Wareham's Frigate Commander about Graham Moore, where Sir John Moore - Moore's brother - is on Irish soil at the time.

Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:24 am
Profile YIM
Midshipman

Haven't read that yet....it must be new? Where is it available? Ooops....perhaps I've already ordered it, can't remember! :oops:

Bob

Bob

Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:53 am
Commander

squbrigg wrote:
They even landed troops in Ireland, but were defeated by the British garrison weren't they? Then there was also the almost comic invasion of England by a frigate load of troops (mostly convicts in uniform) on the South coast of England somewhere, which were promptly rounded up and clapped in irons!

.....unless I am much mistaken, some of this is covered in Tom Wareham's Frigate Commander about Graham Moore, where Sir John Moore - Moore's brother - is on Irish soil at the time.

There is also an account of the landing in "The Frigates" by James Henderson. I'm sorely tempted to get "Frigate Commander," but I believe it will have to wait a little while longer. It would be beneficial to get the French account of the landing as a resource as well, though.
Charity

Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:38 am
Midshipman

:D Now I know if I ordered Frigate Commander....it arrived in the mail today from Amazon.co.uk! So I guess I did order it. :oops:

I had better get reading!

Bob

Bob

Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:24 am

Isn't '1805' by Richard Wwodman partly written from Villeneuve's point of view? I haven't read the book this year though, so I can't remember whether I liked the Villeneuvey bits.

Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:46 pm
Admin

Welcome to the SN Forum!

If I remember correctly, Drinkwater was a prisoner on Villeneuve's ship. Through his interaction with Villeneuve, the reader does get a sense of how the French thought/felt.

Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:54 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]