View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Peter Heywood 

Post Peter Heywood
The recent thread about Bligh reminded me that one of the things on my to-do list was locate a biography of Peter Heywood. He was the midshipman who, through circumstances beyond his control, was one of the Bounty mutineers. He was court martialed, found quilty, pardoned and returned to the Royal Navy for a long career as an officer.

The encyclopedias and on-line sources are full of facts about him but I have always wanted to read an in-depth biography, especially one published shortly after his death in 1831. I want to read his whole life story to see how the Bounty experience impacted him afterwards, if at all. I would really like to find a book that included some letters written by him that referenced what he was going through during his trial.

In 1816, one of his crew penned these wonderful words about him when their ship was being paid-off and Heywood was a post-captain:

Farewell to thee, Heywood! a truer one never
Hath exercised rule o'er the sons of the sea
The seamen who served thee would see forever,
Who sway'd but ne'er fettered, the hearts of the brave

It sounds like he was far removed from being another Bligh.

Can anyone recommend a biography that they have read? I looked to see if he wrote an autobiography but didn't see anything.

Don

Last edited by timoneer on Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:01 pm
Admin

I remember seeing his portrait at the NMM.

I haven't read any books about him, but I saw one mentioned in an announcement in The Scotsman. I don't have it at hand, but will look for it later on.

Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:14 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

Here's the listing from the 7 Nov 1832 edition of The Scotsman:

MUTINY OF THE BOUNTY
In One Volume 8vo.
A MEMOIR OF THE LATE
CAPTAIN PETER HEYWOOD, R.N.
Midshipman on board the Bounty, at the time of the Mutiny, with Extracts from his Diaries and Correspondence.
By EDWARD TAGART
London: Published by EFFINGHAM WILSON.
Edinburgh: WAUGH & INNES.
Dublin: H.F. WAKEMAN

Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:28 pm
Profile YIM

I'll start a search.
Thanks, Don

Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:32 pm

I'll start a search. Thanks, Don

re: "Mutiny of the Bounty, A Memoir of the Late Captain Peter Heywood, R. N." by Edward Tagart

I did extensive searches on-line with no success and finally made a request through the interlibrary loan system. I was disappointed to have my request canceled today because "We have exhausted all possible sources. No library is able to supply this item."

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Don

Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:43 am
Admin

Guess what? There's a copy in Hamilton Library up at UH Manoa. It's in the Pacific Rare Book room. I know that doesn't help you though, sorry.

Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:56 am
Profile YIM
Admin

I was looking in one of the USJs for stuff on the Bombay Marine when I came across a short biography of Heywood. Possibly things you already know about him.

Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:11 pm
Profile YIM

re: "Mutiny of the Bounty, A Memoir of the Late Captain Peter Heywood, R. N." by Edward Tagart

I have not given up on finding the above book because I really want to read the extracts from his diary and correspondence that it contains but I did locate another biography that was published during his lifetime (after retirement) in 1825. I have ordered a copy.

"Royal Navy Biography of Peter Heywood, Esq." by John Marshall

Don

Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:31 pm

"Royal Navy Biography of Peter Heywood, Esq." by John Marshall

For those interested, the above book is a small (77 page) volume whose mutiny section is based on the private journal of James Morrison. Morrison was the boatswain’s mate of the Bounty, also court martialed and pardoned by the King like Heywood. The book was originally published in 1825, about 6 years before Heywood’s death and includes a small number of letters written by Heywood about the charges brought against him as well as some laudatory letters about Heywood's fine performance later as an officer in the Royal Navy.

Here is a question taken from Marshall’s book: What was the interesting connection between Peter Heywood and Cuthbert Collingwood?

Don

Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:28 am

Here is a question taken from Marshall’s book: What was the interesting connection between Peter Heywood and Cuthbert Collingwood?

An obvious connection would be that, since Heywood served in the Mediterranean command, Collingwood would have been his superior. However, the more interesting connection to me would be that Peter Heywood, as captain of HMS Nereus, was the one who transported Admiral Collingwood’s body home from Gibraltar.

Don

Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]