View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:16 pm



Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Lady Franklin and Sophia Cracroft 
Author Message
Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:32 pm
Posts: 2960
Location: Hawaii
Post Lady Franklin and Sophia Cracroft
Those of you who are familiar with the life of Sir John Franklin, know of his second wife, Jane Griffin, and his niece, Sophia Cracroft.

During my yearly pilgrimage to the Friends of the Library book sale, I found a book titled The Victorian Visitors by Alfons L. Korn. It is about the time Lady Franklin and Miss Cracroft spent in Hawai'i.

I haven't had the chance to read it yet, but I did skim through parts of it. It is interesting to note that they stayed at a house in an area not too far from mine.

_________________
I have the honour to be, &c.
susan


Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:06 pm
Profile YIM
Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2002 9:02 am
Posts: 2747
Location: Cambridgeshire, England
Post 


How interesting that you have come across mention of his second wife, when I, on a little trip to Spilsby I posted about here, (3rd post down, dated April 10th, 2005) came across mention of his first wife, Eleanor.

Do you suppose that the house is still standing? That would be interesting to find out if, and when, you have the time.



_________________
- Mil -
aka Mary ....


Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:20 pm
Profile YIM
Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:32 pm
Posts: 2960
Location: Hawaii
Post 
Mil Goose wrote:
Do you suppose that the house is still standing? That would be interesting to find out if, and when, you have the time.

Yes, I am curious about that. Of course the area has changed a great deal since the mid 1800s, but there are some old houses that remain.

Here's an old photograph of the area: Nuuanu Valley, Honolulu, Hawaii ca. 1890.

_________________
I have the honour to be, &c.
susan


Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:07 pm
Profile YIM
Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2002 9:02 am
Posts: 2747
Location: Cambridgeshire, England
Post 
susan wrote:
Mil Goose wrote:
Do you suppose that the house is still standing? That would be interesting to find out if, and when, you have the time.

Yes, I am curious about that. Of course the area has changed a great deal since the mid 1800s, but there are some old houses that remain.

Here's an old photograph of the area: Nuuanu Valley, Honolulu, Hawaii ca. 1890.




What an interesting old photograph. I suppose that area is now all built up? Are you able to find a modern photograph of the same area?


_________________
- Mil -
aka Mary ....


Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:40 am
Profile YIM
Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:32 pm
Posts: 2960
Location: Hawaii
Post 
Mil Goose wrote:
What an interesting old photograph. I suppose that area is now all built up? Are you able to find a modern photograph of the same area?

I've been looking for one. Nothing that shows a similar view. I might have to take one myself.

_________________
I have the honour to be, &c.
susan


Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:56 am
Profile YIM
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.