View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Lady Franklin and Sophia Cracroft 
Admin

Post Lady Franklin and Sophia Cracroft
Those of you who are familiar with the life of Sir John Franklin, know of his second wife, Jane Griffin, and his niece, Sophia Cracroft.

During my yearly pilgrimage to the Friends of the Library book sale, I found a book titled The Victorian Visitors by Alfons L. Korn. It is about the time Lady Franklin and Miss Cracroft spent in Hawai'i.

I haven't had the chance to read it yet, but I did skim through parts of it. It is interesting to note that they stayed at a house in an area not too far from mine.

Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:06 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

How interesting that you have come across mention of his second wife, when I, on a little trip to Spilsby I posted about here, (3rd post down, dated April 10th, 2005) came across mention of his first wife, Eleanor.

Do you suppose that the house is still standing? That would be interesting to find out if, and when, you have the time.

Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:20 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

Do you suppose that the house is still standing? That would be interesting to find out if, and when, you have the time.

Yes, I am curious about that. Of course the area has changed a great deal since the mid 1800s, but there are some old houses that remain.

Here's an old photograph of the area: Nuuanu Valley, Honolulu, Hawaii ca. 1890.

Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:07 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

Mil Goose wrote:

Yes, I am curious about that. Of course the area has changed a great deal since the mid 1800s, but there are some old houses that remain.

Here's an old photograph of the area: Nuuanu Valley, Honolulu, Hawaii ca. 1890.

What an interesting old photograph. I suppose that area is now all built up? Are you able to find a modern photograph of the same area?

Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:40 am
Profile YIM
Admin

What an interesting old photograph. I suppose that area is now all built up? Are you able to find a modern photograph of the same area?

I've been looking for one. Nothing that shows a similar view. I might have to take one myself.

Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:56 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]