View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 My voyage of discovery 
Admin

Post My voyage of discovery
Without bragging or boasting I would like to share with you briefly a most wonderful voyage of discovery I had in May. I've done plenty of brief passages at sea like Channel crossings etc but had never undertaken anything like the one I recently made, a cruise with a difference, almost 1,700 nm circumnavigating my own shores.

Living near England's east coast I've spent enough years gazing at the North Sea and how amazing it was to be sailing along much of its length, albeit a rough passage up to Force 7. My pleasure for the entire voyage was watching pilots come aboard and disembark again in some very rough seas, in daylight and dark, the ship never stopping; at night seeing the brightly lit container ships waiting to go into Felixstowe; gas rigs in the North Sea, and my own observation of what a dreadfully lonely place the sea is with barely anything sighted - apart from the many ferries serving the numerous islands surrounding the UK, and when entering and leaving the great river estuaries of the Thames and the Seine.

Now in my later years, I'd never have driven up to the Outer Hebrides, where I'd always longed to go, nor down to the tip of Cornwall to visit the Scilly Isles.

I'd never have seen so many lighthouses beaming their warnings after dark, protecting shipping from our shores including the Bishop Rock lighthouse, the UK's most south westerly point, nor would I have known how Jack Aubrey would have felt on a heavy swell waiting for his boat to rise to enable him to step onto the side of his ship. Thankfully, I achieved this many times successfully with the help of the very competent seamen of the Arielle; not bad for a very unagile senior citizen.

Oh, yes, the Age of Sail wasn't entirely abandoned as on a tour of Dublin my keen eyes soon spotted the yards and masts of the Jeanie Johnston on the Liffey. (scroll down a little). We got a better look at her when we passed close by on a river cruise.

Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:06 pm
Profile YIM
Lieutenant

Congratulations, Mary! I envy you the opportunity! :D

-clash

Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:21 pm
Profile WWW
Admin

Congratulations, Mary! I envy you the opportunity! :D

-clash

...thanks, Clash. It was an opportunity indeed. We pushed the boat out (literally - well, ship.... :lol: ) as it was our 40th anniversary last December. People I know who are not particularly interested in cruising pricked their ears up at the idea of sailing right round Britain.

Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:57 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]