View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 David Cordingly: Pirates 

Post David Cordingly: Pirates
"Pirates: Terror on the High Seas from the Caribbean to the South China Sea" - consulting editor: David Cordingly

I was waiting for some photos to be developed in the local mall and decided to browse through a bookstore that was going out of business later this week. I chanced upon the book above for $7.50 which was too good to pass up. I have only briefly looked through it but it appears to have a lot of information as well as tons of interesting paintings. David Cordingly not only edited this book but wrote several chapters as well. He was, for twelve years, on the staff of the National Maritime Museum (NMM), Greenwich, England where he was Keeper of Pictures and then Head of Exhibitions.

This book is oversized, like a coffee table book and appears to be part of a series called "A Worldwide Illustrated History" which is new to me.

Anybody own this? Likes? Dislikes?

Click Herefor some information.

Don

Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:22 pm
Midshipman

Post Oooh!
Never heard of it, but from what you've said and from the reviews and whatnot around the internet (Amazon.com), it looks like a really great book! I am intrigued.

Sat May 05, 2007 2:01 am
Midshipman

Through my experience with pirate history books, looking at the reviews, it appears that this is a "compilation" book. What I mean is that the book only has a bunch of articles on pirate history. I know of many books out there that are like this already. While the book is probably good, I have read many like them before. If you want some good pirate books, go with Cordingly's "Under the Black Flag," Marus Rediker's "Villians of All Nations," and Benerson Little's "The Sea Rover's Tactics." They are very informative, accurate, well written, and fun to read.

Mon May 07, 2007 12:49 am
Admin

The only book I have specifically dedicated to the subject is Pirates by David Mitchell which seems ok and nicely illustrated. I have never read it in its entirety but have consulted it from time to time.

If you know of this one, BP (or, of course, any other member) how do you rate it? If it has worthwhile merits perhaps you would start a thread for it.

I have seen it mentioned in various websites and one such article I found refers to smugglers, so I have posted that website under that thread.

Mon May 07, 2007 12:19 pm
Profile YIM
Midshipman

I have not read it, but I looked at the info and a picture of the cover online, and realized I have seen this book on sale several times at Barnes and Nobles, I believe it was in bargain section. I remember scanning over it, and all I got out of scanning it was that it was a lot of pictures and only basic information. I have seen a lot of books like that before, a lot of books like this come out recently due to the great increase of popularity of piracy thanks to the Pirates of the Caribbean. I am guessing that it is an okay book, I know that Cordingly is one of the great historians on pirates today, and if you are just having passing interest of it or just want basic information, get it. But I have not read it yet and am only going of what I am reading from online and from experience. I will probably buy it myself this weekend and look at it myself.

Tue May 08, 2007 10:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]