View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Saluting 
Admin

Post Saluting

I came across the following snippet in The Times of October 7th, 1786. There is no clue as to who was writing the column. Does anyone have any idea when inter-service saluting became the procedure?

" .... It is a general rule for the soldiers when they are on guard to salute an officer who belongs to the army when he passes by, but they never salute a naval officer, which I think is very wrong, as both the navy and army ought to be respected alike by one another, as they both serve one King. Indeed the navy takes place of the army, and I think it would not be improper if a new rule was to be made, for the soldiers on guard to pay as much respect to the navy as to the army. ...."

Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:50 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Regarding the timing of the guns in a salute, I'm sure a lot of us have heard of the phrase supposedly used by gunners: "If I wasn't a gunner, I wouldn't be here."

Does anyone have a source for this? Or is it something that is traditional (and still used today)?

Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:35 pm
Profile YIM
Commander

Regarding the timing of the guns in a salute, I'm sure a lot of us have heard of the phrase supposedly used by gunners: "If I wasn't a gunner, I wouldn't be here."

Does anyone have a source for this? Or is it something that is traditional (and still used today)?

I seem to remember that the interval between guns was reduced from 10 seconds to 5 seconds sometime in the late nineteenth century and thereafter the rhyme ceased to be used.

I cannot offer a contemporary authority for the use of the words quoted but it seems to be correct although different versions of this rhyme exist. The following version seems more appropriate to a 10 second interval:

"If I wasn't a gunner, I wouldn't be here. Starboard number two gun, FIRE!
Away from my home and my family so dear. Starboard number three gun, FIRE".

Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:41 pm
Admin

I didn't know there was a second line!

Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:48 pm
Profile YIM

Post Re: Saluting
Gun salutes.

Does anyone know of a publication that has information on gun salutes by a British warship in the late 1700's or the early 1800's?

I do know that Samuel Pepys reduced the number of guns fired when rendering honors but this was done in the 1600's in order to conserve gunpowder.

Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:42 am
Admin

Post Re: Saluting
Hi Don,

Try this: Regulations and Instructions Relating to His Majesty's Service at Sea (1808)

Google Books has other editions from the mid- to late-1700s as well.

Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:29 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]