View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Restoration of HMS Trincomalee 
Lieutenant

Post Restoration of HMS Trincomalee
From the BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/engl ... 433582.stm

Cheers

Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:03 am
Admin

I had wanted to go to Hartlepool this year. Maybe next year, if I have the cash.

I didn't realize they had a paddle steamer as well. Cool.

Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:31 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Isn't the Trincomalee also a Leda class frigate?

-clash

With Clash's mention of the frigate, I thought I would add to the thread we already have which mentions the frigate and which I have yet to get up to Hartlepool to see for myself.

Herewith the official website for perusal.

Incidentally, I have a nice little booklet I bought down at the Historic Dockyard at Portsmouth a few years back called The Story of a Frigate - HMS Trincomalee to TS Foudroyant, written by AJ Marsh, which has some nice illustrations.

Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:02 am
Profile YIM
Admin

...slightly out of date news ( ;) ) but good news anyway! view here.

Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:52 am
Profile YIM
Lieutenant

Post Trincomalee
For those who are really interested, the book to get is Andrew Lambert's well illustrated 'Trincomalee: The Last of Nelson's Frigates' (Chatham 2002)

Brian Vale

Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:14 pm
Lieutenant

Post Re: Trincomalee
Brian Vale wrote:
For those who are really interested, the book to get is Andrew Lambert's well illustrated 'Trincomalee: The Last of Nelson's Frigates' (Chatham 2002)

Brian Vale

The sub-title: "The last of Nelson's Frigates" has been challenged on another list, because Trincomalee was not launched until 1817, twelve years after Nelson's death, but that is a bit of a quibble. It is a very comprehensive history of the ship.

It is well worth the trip to Hartlepool to see her fully restored. They have done an excellent job on the rather shabby hulk that was Foudroyant which was moved to Hartlepool from Portsmouth in 1987. Perhaps because she was built of teak, the restoration work has been able to leave about 60% of her original timbers. She has been restored approximately to her 1840s state, with appropriate smoothbore ML guns: lightweight replicas of, I think, 18 pdrs on the gun deck and mostly similar replicas of 12 pdrs and 32 pdr carronades on the quarterdeck. There are about 4 genuine iron guns on the quarterdeck or fo'c'sl of the correct pattern for the period.

Visitors can walk over most of the ship, from the quarterdeck to the hold. Furniture and fittings appropriate to the period are in the captain's quarters, the wardroom, some cabins and other places. Even the powder magazines have been re-coppered. Visitors board on the gun deck, but modern lifts have been discreetly fitted to help disabled people go to the other decks.

We were particularly impressed with the detailed knowledge of the staff aboard. We were there on a quiet day in October, so they were not busy with visitors, and were very happy to discuss details of her history, the restoration work, and special features that had puzzled us.

Trincomalee is afloat in a small dock that forms the centrepiece of the "Historic Quayside" - a convincing recreation of an Age of Sail quay, with naval shops and audio-visual presentations. It all looks authentic, but apparently was specially built on industrial waste ground, from recycled old bricks and beams. It has been well done. The ex-Humber paddle ferry Wingfield Castle is moored nearby, and the site includes the municipal Museum of Hartlepool. The latter is free, but one pays a modest sum to see the "Historic Quayside" and Trincomalee. There is ample free car parking next to the site, and there is a decent cafe as part of the quayside.

Mil has given us the link to the Trincomalee web-site. Here is the link to the Hartlepool Historic Quayside.

Martin

Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:33 pm
Profile WWW
Admin

Post Re: Restoration of HMS Trincomalee
Some news from the Hartlepool Mail.

Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:58 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]