View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 9:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 What Ship? 
Admin

Post What Ship?
While looking at various photos on the Flickr site, I came across this one:

Sailing ship Chance, aground at Bluff, 1902 by National Library NZ on The Commons, on Flickr

The writing on the photo reads: "The old "Chance", as man of war, merchantman, and whaler for over one hundred years. In her last resting place. Bluff, N.Z."

I did a search for Chance, but the only Royal Navy (I'm assuming) sailing ship I came up with was an 18-gun sloop that foundered in 1800.

Does anyone know if this ship was indeed a man of war? What navy? Was Chance her original name?

It's hard to tell, but her masts look like iron/steel. Can that be possible if she was at least 100 years old in 1902? Original masts replaced?

Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:12 am
Profile YIM
Lieutenant

Post Re: What Ship?
There are also two RN hired vessels in addition to the sloop of 1799

A cutter hired in 1804-1806 and a schooner hired in 1815.

In addition there was an American privateer schooner C1812

and about 6 British Privateers (a couple are possible the same vessel so probably less and I may be missing some) commissioned between 1794 and 1812

Cy

Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:04 pm
Commander

susan wrote:
While looking at various photos on the Flickr site, I came across this one:

Sailing ship Chance, aground at Bluff, 1902 by National Library NZ on The Commons, on Flickr

The writing on the photo reads: "The old "Chance", as man of war, merchantman, and whaler for over one hundred years. In her last resting place. Bluff, N.Z."

I did a search for Chance, but the only Royal Navy (I'm assuming) sailing ship I came up with was an 18-gun sloop that foundered in 1800.

Does anyone know if this ship was indeed a man of war? What navy? Was Chance her original name?

It's hard to tell, but her masts look like iron/steel. Can that be possible if she was at least 100 years old in 1902? Original masts replaced?

The whaler CHANCE, under her redoubtable skipper, Paddy Gilroy, occupies many pages in Frank Bullen’s “The Cruise of the CACHALOT”. Unfortunately, her earlier history is not dealt with.

She was owned by Samuel Nichol of Bluff, N.Z. She finished her days as a coal hulk – this was probably when the wind generator was installed.

Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:12 am
Admin

Thanks Cy and Peter!

I was intrigued by the turbine. Never expected to see one on a ship.

Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:50 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]