View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Types of boats carried by small frigates? 
Lieutenant

Post Types of boats carried by small frigates?
Another question from me... trying to get going on "The Project" again...
I'm looking for a list of what boats a 6th-rate '28' would have carried in 1796. I gather that there was an established list, but that sometimes it varied according to the captain's choice or what was available. But between gigs, cutters, launches, jollyboats, barges... I've no idea which are appropriate, other than which ones are a little bigger than the others!
Also, how many men would each of these boats carry & how many oarsmen are needed for each?
Another one of those little details I can't seem to find. Haven't got access to a lot of books, & the provincial library catalogue hasn't got some I've seen recommended elsewhere.
Thanks for any help!

...life on land is DRY :(

Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:02 am
Lieutenant

Post Re: Types of boats carried by small frigates?
Alison!

According to Robert Gardiner, the number of boats established for a 28 in 1781 was 1x22' launch; 1x28' pinnace (replaced by a 30 footer in 1784); and 1x18' cutter. He points out of course that although the Navy Board tried to resist any departure from the norm, some captains did manage to vary their complement, even paying themselves for extra more manouvreable cutters. I can’t tell you how many men each carried: but it shouldn’t be difficult to find out!

Brian

Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]