View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Danish Ship Building 
Lieutenant

Post Danish Ship Building
http://pub50.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=4287808284&frmid=14&msgid=0
Ship building materials and designs - late 18th century

There has been a hefty discussion going on in English [most threads are in Danish] on this Danish website forum during December, with numerous books mentioned as references, [ and some nonsense]. I copied the whole discussion on 30 December and it ran to 18 pages! It is worth scanning through it to see what is worth picking up on. The quote below tickled my fancy.

Quote:
The British seized the entire stocked store or inventory of Danish naval timber when the British seized the Danish dockyard in 1807 - this was removed to England. Danish naval oak, although properly seasoned by Danish dockyard personnel, was - I believe - of a different species of oak than the oak species favored by the British. Hence, this seized Danish oak timber lay about in British dockyards unused for a while, until shortages of British oak timber forced the British to finally utilize the Danish naval oak timber in new naval construction - I believe this was utilized to construct smaller British naval vessels (frigates or below).

There is also a link to the "Black Register" where every ship that has served in the Royal Danish Navy has a record. This is http://www.orlogsmuseet.dk/registrant.html
Viking

Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:20 pm
Lieutenant

Post Re: Danish Ship Building
For those interested in te Danish navy, a new three book list of all Danish Naval Vessels from 1500 to date has just been published by the Danish State Defense Museum. it works out at around £30 / $50 for the 900 page set

see order details here (in Danish) http://nyboderboghandel.dk/soefart-36/o ... -1275.html

Cy

Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:21 pm
Lieutenant

Post Re: Danish Ship Building
Quote:
For those interested in te Danish navy, a new three book list of all Danish Naval Vessels from 1500 to date has just been published by the Danish State Defense Museum. it works out at around £30 / $50 for the 900 page set

Thanks, Cy. This looks very interesting and I will certainly be investigating it. Incidentally, the price quoted is before tax so the real price is more like £42 - still a snip!

Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]