View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Richard Hough: History of Fighting Ships 

Post Richard Hough: History of Fighting Ships
History of Fighting Ships by Richard Alexander Hough

My library is looking to replace this book due to poor condition. Since it was published in 1975/1979, finding a new version is seemingly impossible and the librarian feels that a later book might have more accurate information. It contains three sections. The first is oared warships; the second is sailing warships: the third is modern. I am having trouble finding a replacement for such a broad range of warships in a single book. Would anyone here have a suggestion?

Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:46 am
Lieutenant

Post Re: Richard Hough: History of Fighting Ships
There are several listings for it on eBay...
It's also available on Amazon. Is the library not able to buy from these sources?
I'm not sure I understand the logic... the history of oared & sailing warships won't have changed much since 1975...? :?

...life on land is DRY :(

Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:03 am

Post Re: Richard Hough: History of Fighting Ships
Alison wrote:
I'm not sure I understand the logic... the history of oared & sailing warships won't have changed much since 1975...? :?

Alison, it's complicated.

My library does not normally buy 40 year old books, even in new condition. Especially in light of budget concerns in recent years. The "much" in your statement above is critical to any "reference" book replacement. In the case of modern warships, 40 years is huge.

I did locate a book that might be acceptable: "Warships: From the Galley to the Present Day" by Grant, Konstam, & Marriott which was published in 2001. Typically the library buys reference books from a special bookseller that supplies books with a binding that lasts much longer than the typical hardback designed for home use. This bookseller does not offer either book. I found out yesterday that even 2001 might be too old. The library does buy certain books from Amazon (but not from third party sellers using Amazon, Abebooks, or eBay).

Another option I discussed with the librarian was to buy a book on just oared warships (since the library already has a number of books on sailing and modern warships). However, I could only find books about galleys published in the 1960's and 1970's. Not recent enough and not offered by the special bookseller.

I think the library would accept a less sturdy binding if a recently published book could be located. Any suggestions from the group for a suitable book on galleys would be welcome.

Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]