View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Naval Chronicle - Cambridge University Press 2010 
Commander

Post Naval Chronicle - Cambridge University Press 2010
For anyone with £1000- to spare:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Naval-Chronicle ... 023&sr=1-1

The CUP site states that the set consists of 41 volumes. The NC would occupy 40 volumes but there is no indication of the contents of the 41st. I suppose that it is too much to hope that it contains an index!

The size of this paperback edition is not given. I hope they retain the size of the original issues. Reducing the size would make some of the content hard to read.

Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:10 pm
Lieutenant

Post Re: Naval Chronicle - Cambridge University Press 2010
Susan

For those who don't have the requisite £1000, most (if not all by now) of the naval chronicle is available free from archive.org.

Search of "naval chronicle" and "navy chronicle" to find them

Cy

Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:49 pm
Admin

Ouch. As much as I'd like printed copies, I'll stick with the PDF files I've downloaded for now!

I am happy to say that I do own one original volume (No. 18), which I cherish, along with an original Steel's list.

Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:14 am
Profile YIM
Commander

I have three of the originals but all three are in very poor condition - boards loose etc. I much prefer to have a book in my hand to reading these things on a screen, but the cost of the CUP issue is rather daunting. If there is an index it would be tempting. It seems that the volumes will be available separately, so perhaps the acquisition of those not available on the web might be a good move. For those outside the USA, the downloading of the 36 volumes currently available on Google Books/Internet Archive would be a good idea as a great deal of material is disappearing from the web (and even from the Way Back Machine).

Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:05 am
Lieutenant

susan wrote:
I am happy to say that I do own one original volume (No. 18), which I cherish, along with an original Steel's list.

Yes, I have number 2 (printed on paper milled in 1793). PDFs are great, but they weren't there!

Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:56 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Naval Chronicle
I much prefer a book in my hand also. A possible alternative (to add to the downloaded full version) would be the "consolidated" five book edition edited by Nicholas Tracy. It does not contain all the material in the original 40 volumes but has been edited to the "most significant material" resulting in a five volume set. Since there is an index in the fifth volume, it's a nice way to start a search. These five volumes were originally published during 1998-1999 by Stackpole Books (London). There were hardback and paperback editions and seem to be still available at used book sellers at a reasonable price.

Volume 1 = 1793-1798
Volume 2 = 1799-1804
Volume 3 = 1804-1806
Volume 4 = 1807-1810
Volume 5 = 1811-1815 + Index

Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:31 pm
Admin

I have two of the Tracy volumes. I'm glad I didn't buy all of them as they, in their edited form, are a bit of a disappointment compared to the originals. A lot of the information I find interesting was cut out.

Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:47 am
Profile YIM

susan wrote:
I have two of the Tracy volumes. I'm glad I didn't buy all of them as they, in their edited form, are a bit of a disappointment compared to the originals. A lot of the information I find interesting was cut out.

Susan, have you tried to go from the edited version (via the Index) to the original? Any help at all?

I wondered about the deleted information. Thanks,

Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:45 am

Post Re: Naval Chronicle - Print-On-Demand & Kindle
timoneer wrote:
Susan, have you tried to go from the edited version (via the Index) to the original? Any help at all?

Susan, I think I will download the pdf files and answer my own question (which I should have done in the first place... sorry).

In looking at AbeBooks, I noticed that they have another option: Print-On-Demand.

Originals are tough to find, expensive, and not in the best of condition even if available. Pdf's require one to view a monitor. Seems like NABU Press will print the pdf files into an actual paperback book so it is a newly published book with all the old information. It is not an optical scan which sometimes results in gibberish words but an actual reproduction of the original.

Amazon also offers reproduction of several of the original volumes in Kindle format.

Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:54 pm

IONIA wrote:
The CUP site states that the set consists of 41 volumes. The NC would occupy 40 volumes but there is no indication of the contents of the 41st. I suppose that it is too much to hope that it contains an index!
I went looking through the CUP site since I might consider getting one of the volumes that is not available via pdf (which you suggested). I found the same statement you found that the set consisted of 41 volumes but when I did a search, only 40 volumes appeared with the 41st listing being the complete set. I also found information that each volume is a "reproduction." It might be that the CUP edition is exactly like the NABU Press "Print-On-Demand" version rather than a new "reset" of the material.

IONIA wrote:
The size of this paperback edition is not given. I hope they retain the size of the original issues. Reducing the size would make some of the content hard to read.
I did find the page size (buried in small print on the far left side of the webpage) to be 216 mm (8.5 inches) by 140 mm (5.5 inches). Is this close to the originals you own? The number of pages seem to be about the same as the original.

I'm hoping that, once published, Amazon will be able to display a few pages of the text which they sometimes do. Maybe there will be an Index in each volume. Or that the 41st volume (with an Index for the entire set) will appear. **I wonder if an email to CUP would clear up the issue?

** I sent one today (19 June).

Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:15 am
Admin

timoneer wrote:
timoneer wrote:

Susan, I think I will download the pdf files and answer my own question (which I should have done in the first place... sorry).

Hi Don,

I wouldn't have been able to answer your question anyway, as I don't have the index volume.

Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:55 am
Profile YIM

susan wrote:
timoneer wrote:
timoneer wrote:
Susan, I think I will download the pdf files and answer my own question (which I should have done in the first place).
Hi Don, I wouldn't have been able to answer your question anyway, as I don't have the index volume.

Susan, I would hate to make a living at using the Tracy Index to find something in the original but it can be done. For example, the Tracy Index showed that "Lt. Nepean" was mentioned in a letter on page 193 of Tracy #5. Looking at that page, there was a further reference to pages 433-434 in Volume 30 of the original. Lo and behold, there he was. Once the original volume was determined, the "Find" function of Adobe Reader was a bit faster than reading all the text on those two pages to find his name.

Of course, as you noted, not all the information in the original is found in the Tracy work. In this example, Tracy shows only an excerpt of the original letter which appears in full in the original volume.

Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:33 am

timoneer wrote:
I wonder if an email to CUP would clear up the issue?
I sent one today (19 June).

I received the following information 21 June from the Cambridge University Press concerning their publication of the Naval Chronicle. -- Don

(1) We are publishing the original 40 volumes; the 41st ISBN is for the complete set of 40, priced at below the total of the individual volumes. There are some indexes included in the original volumes, but we have not added an index to the set.

(2) The books are not being typeset afresh: the content of the books is scanned, and the pages are cleaned up electronically to remove dirt, foxing and any pencil or pen scribblings on the text. We are not however correcting any typos in the original. - i.e. the books will be clean facsimiles of the original printing.

(3) The text measure of the pages is the same size as the originals, but the marginal space is slightly less.

Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:52 pm
Commander

Thanks, Don. That seems to clear it up.

Disappointing about the index, given the disorganized nature of the original issues.

Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:23 pm

IONIA wrote:
Thanks, Don. That seems to clear it up. Disappointing about the index, given the disorganized nature of the original issues.

Peter, I agree that a general index is needed. Sounds like a good, though tedious, project for someone.

You mentioned that you could only find 35 of the volumes in pdf format. That was all I found too. Missing were volumes 2, 28, 29, 39, and 40. I'm thinking of buying number 2 from CUP or AbeBooks… unless someone knows where a pdf of it may exist on-line.

Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next