View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 David Donachie: By the Mast Divided 
Admin

Post David Donachie: By the Mast Divided
I've started this separate thread for David Donachie's books, as we already have one for his Nelson trilogy.

(Susan: if you think this inappropriate, please edit. :) )

I recently finished Donachie's By the mast divided which I heartily recommend; a tale of a newly pressed man running alongside that of the captain of the ship, one Ralph Barclay. The series is destined to run for several books, but I think, perhaps, Barclay may only be involved in the first one, but then, not being privy to the writer's mind, I don't really know. LOL

Anyhow, an interesting read and one I recommend.

Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:37 am
Profile YIM

Post David Donachie: John Pearce series
Mil Goose wrote:
I recently finished Donachie's By the mast divided which I heartily recommend; a tale of a newly pressed man running alongside that of the captain of the ship, one Ralph Barclay. The series is destined to run for several books, but I think, perhaps, Barclay may only be involved in the first one, but then, not being privy to the writer's mind, I don't really know.

Mary, I know that it has been a few months since you read "By the Mast Divided" by Donachie (me too), but did you notice that the author is beginning a series generally similar to Stockwin's Kydd series? Both are taking pressed landsmen to officer ranks in the RN. Of course all the other details of their stories are different.

As you pointed out, the story-line in Donachie's series is split between John Pearce (main character) and Captain Ralph Barclay. Barclay, captain of the frigate "Brilliant" (24), is a nasty piece of work, not exactly evil but very focused on being held in high esteem by his wife, his crew, and the Royal Navy. To that end, he has no morals and treats Pearce like dirt. Having Captain Barclay's wife Emily express warm feeling for Pearce is quite a little knife thrust into the captain's heart (if he has one). In addition, Toby Burns, midshipman, Emily's cousin, is a right little snit. I have a feeling that both of these foul characters are going to come to a just end sometime in the series.

Mary, the reason I posted this is that I am beginning to read the second in the John Pearce series titled "A Shot Rolling Ship." I flipped through the book and noticed Barclay appears -- I'm not sure how much of the book covers him until I get further into the book.

SPOILER -- "By the Mast Divided" Of course, having Barclay offer Pearce and the other illegally pressed men their freedom and then tricking them into being pressed into another ship, was an interesting story twist.

Since the two men are now on different ships in the second book, it will be interesting to see how Donachie keeps the parallel story lines progressing.

Mary, have you read the second book? Anyone else?

Don

Fri May 05, 2006 12:39 pm
Admin

Post Re: David Donachie: John Pearce series
timoneer wrote:
Mil Goose wrote:
I recently finished Donachie's By the mast divided which I heartily recommend; a tale of a newly pressed man running alongside that of the captain of the ship, one Ralph Barclay. The series is destined to run for several books, but I think, perhaps, Barclay may only be involved in the first one, but then, not being privy to the writer's mind, I don't really know.

Mary, the reason I posted this is that I am beginning to read the second in the John Pearce series titled "A Shot Rolling Ship." I flipped through the book and noticed Barclay appears -- I'm not sure how much of the book covers him until I get further into the book.

SPOILER -- "By the Mast Divided" Of course, having Barclay offer Pearce and the other illegally pressed men their freedom and then tricking them into being pressed into another ship, was an interesting story twist.

Since the two men are now on different ships in the second book, it will be interesting to see how Donachie keeps the parallel story lines progressing.

Mary, have you read the second book? Anyone else?

......yes, Don, I bought it when it first came out, and thorougly enjoyed it.

I don't find it similar to Stockwin at all, and actually, as much as like I Stockwin, I find the Donachie series a more "intelligent" read, in that I consider the plot intertwining the two characters has been very cleverly thought out. My last comment may cause problems, ;), but we're all entitled to our opinions. :lol:

I have all the Stockwins, and, all being well, will do the same with Donachie's series.

Keep reading, Don, and hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Fri May 05, 2006 2:30 pm
Profile YIM

Mil Goose wrote:
I don't find it similar to Stockwin at all, and actually, as much as like I Stockwin, I find the Donachie series a more "intelligent" read, in that I consider the plot intertwining the two characters has been very cleverly thought out.

Actually, I agree with your statements above. Other than the general "pressed sailor to officer" plot the two stories and characters are vastly different. I like the Stockwin series and Kydd is a particular favorite of mine but John Pearce is rapidly growing on me. The dual character threads by Donachie is a brilliant literary device.

Don

Fri May 05, 2006 3:00 pm

timoneer wrote:
Mary, have you read the second book [A shot Rolling Ship]?
Mil Goose wrote:
......yes, Don, I bought it when it first came out, and thorougly enjoyed it.... Keep reading, Don, and hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

I just finished "A Shot Rolling Ship" and I must jump on your bandwagon for this series. I have always liked Donachie’s writing and this book in particular is excellent. The sea battle at the end was really enjoyable and very, very different from the typical fictional battle. The fact that it had a basis in fact just added to it.

Don

Last edited by timoneer on Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 10, 2006 12:33 am
Admin

timoneer wrote:
timoneer wrote:
Mary, have you read the second book [A shot Rolling Ship]?
Mil Goose wrote:
......yes, Don, I bought it when it first came out, and thorougly enjoyed it.... Keep reading, Don, and hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

I just finished "A Shot Rolling Ship" and I must jump on your bandwagon for this series.

....... :lol: you are very welcome aboard; it's nice to have a fellow enthusiast for the same books and share opinions.

Wed May 10, 2006 1:04 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]