View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Dan Simmons: The Terror 
Admin

Post Dan Simmons: The Terror
The Terror

A friend of mine mentioned this book to me about a week ago and lo and behold it popped up on my Amazon suggestion list.

Has anyone read any of Simmons' other books? Any good? I gather he writes sci-fi/horror?

The mention of "a thing" stalking the crew and the paw prints in the snow on the cover...shades of Killigrew and the North-West Passage!

Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:13 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

Post Re: Dan Simmons: The Terror
susan wrote:
The Terror

Has anyone read any of Simmons' other books? Any good? I gather he writes sci-fi/horror?

... I certainly haven't as I generally don't do scary. However, I notice that Cambs Libraries has it, so may well give it a try.

Quote:
The mention of "a thing" stalking the crew and the paw prints in the snow on the cover...shades of Killigrew and the North-West Passage!

...now that was scary: I've never been able to face a Fox's Glacier mint since. :lol:

Incidentally, not of the genre, but of the scary.....Barbara Erskine writes a scary nove; always historic. I haven't read anything of hers for a while, but have to steel myself when I do and definitely don't get up for a nocturnal read then. ;)

Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:05 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

I bought this book on Friday. Weighty tome!

I spoke to a friend of mine who said that Simmons puts a great deal of research into his books. Looking forward to starting on it when I have more time.

Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:21 am
Profile YIM
Admin

I'm about half-way through. If you like horror, you'll probably like this book. It's kind of like Predator in the Arctic minus Ahhnold :D.

Has anyone else read it yet?

Sun May 13, 2007 4:06 am
Profile YIM
Admin

I finally finished reading this book. Simmons obviously did a lot of research. There were a few small details I had problems with, but overall, he did a good job weaving his story around what is known about the fate of some of the men and the artifacts found by subsequent expeditions.

It's not a book for everyone, due to the nature of some of the scenes.

I found the ending a little anticlimactic, but at least it was a happy one (compared to everything else that went on before). I don't want to say too much.

Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:50 pm
Profile YIM
Midshipman

I loved this book SO much. I can't stop thinking about it, even two weeks after finishing it. I always find that that's a sign of how much I really like something, if I keep thinking about it for a long time afterwards. I'm glad you recommended it to me!

Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]