View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Jonathan Lunn: Killigrew and the North-West Passage 

Post Jonathan Lunn: Killigrew and the North-West Passage
"Killigrew and the North-West Passage" by Jonathan Lunn (Daniel Hall)

After starting the thread about "Killigrew and the Incorrigibles," I thought I would give this author a rest. However, this particular book, the fourth in the series, is so different that I had to post a little something.

Lunn/Hall sets this on a fictional ship among a real life attempt to find the missing John Franklin. Franklin and his two ships "Erebus" and "Terror" had disappeared several years earlier attempting to find the elusive North-West Passage that might connect the Atlantic and Pacific oceans somewhere in the Arctic. So this adventure of rescue and discovery is more "man against nature" than "man against a human enemy." As with his other books, it is well written and researched. One detail that must have certainly come from contemporary sources is having a "fire hole" constantly open in the ice so water would be readily available in case of fire.

Spoilers Below!

Spoilers Below!

In addition to the body-numbing cold and mind-twisting isolation, Killigrew and his crew have to deal with what the book jacket calls "… a creature of almost mythical proportions…"

Rather than give the details, I will just list a few of the names on Lunn’s acknowledgment page: Peter Benchley ("Jaws"), John Carpenter ("The Thing"), Mary Shelley ("Frankenstein"), and the anonymous author of "Beowulf." These will certainly give a hint as to this sub-plot. I found it interesting to note that director John Carpenter often uses the name of his friends as character names in his movies which continues the theme discussed in the "Incorrigibles" book thread (Click Here).

For a peek at the creature Click Here.

Don

Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:57 pm
Admin

As I've mentioned elsewhere on this forum (I think), K&TNWP is my favorite in the series.

The cutting of fire holes is indeed mentioned in the accounts of voyages to the Arctic.

Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:38 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]