View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Anthony Forrest: "Captain Justice" 

Post Anthony Forrest: "Captain Justice"
"Captain Justice: Secret Agent Against Napoleon" by Anthony Forrest

I am getting ready to start the second book in this series and discovered that there is no thread for the first Captain Justice book. I read this some time ago, before I joined here, so here is a little of what I remember and some things from my notes. I do remember enjoying this book and finally tracked down the last two in the series so I can read further.

Note: Anthony Forrest is a pseudonym for two writers: Anthony Cave Brown and Norman Ian Mackenzie. Both have written a number of historical and biographical works. Brown: "Bodyguard of Lies," "Last Hero," "Treason in the Blood," "Oil, God and Gold," and others. Mackenzie: "Escape from Elba," "Dickens: A Life," "H.G. Wells: A Biography," and others.

Since this series is written by two historians, the fictional story is greatly enhanced by the richness of the details and historical background from their research.

In 1804, Captain John Valcourt Justice, RN, is recruited by a secret organization within the Admiralty to spy behind the French lines.

Possible Spoilers!

Possible Spoilers!

While Napoleon is building up his English invasion fleet, Matthew Fielding, British agent, goes missing in France. Captain Justice is sent to France to see what happened to Fielding and check the status of Napoleon’s invasion. Justice’s servant and close friend, Fred Scorcher, is an ex-smuggler and his contacts help Justice to move across the channel. Along the way, the reader learns of Justice’s family connection in France. [Justice’s middle name is a big clue.] You meet a number of interesting characters along the way: a painter, gambler, blind doctor, actors, spies, and a number of smugglers. as well as discovering a pair of diabolical weapons. The climax takes place while an attack on the French port of Boulogne rages.

In the very end of the book is a reference to an "infernal device" that gives a clue to a major personage in this and in the second book: "The Pandora Secret."

Don

Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]