View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Edwin Thomas: "Treason's River" 

Post Edwin Thomas: "Treason's River"
I just finished "Treason’s River" by Edwin Thomas. This is the third in the Lt. Martin Jerrold (RN) series following "Blighted Cliffs" and "The Chains of Albion."

SPOILER BELOW

SPOILER BELOW

Martin is a spy sent to the US in late 1806 to investigate and stop a conspiracy centered on a actual treasonous attempt by Aaron Burr to create an empire from Mexico and some of the western lands that eventually formed a vast section of the current US. This is a real but little known event in the forming of the US. Burr was then an ex-Vice President of the US (he had served under Thomas Jefferson) when his attempt took place. I found it interesting that the author attempted to explain the (briefly successful) capture of Buenos Aires by Sir Home Popham as a component of this conspiracy.

This book had an unsatisfactory ending for me due solely, I guess, to the fact that the author wants to continue the series, but otherwise it was as readable as the first two. I also enjoy the occasional book that focuses on spies or mysteries that sometimes center away from the traditional sea adventure. The "river" in the title is a reference to the central journey in this book down the Ohio and Mississippi rivers on a flatboat from Pittsburgh (PA) to New Orleans. There the real-life, and very colorful, Jean Lafitte puts in an appearance

CLICK HERE for more information on the Burr Conspiracy.
CLICK HERE for general information on the life of Aaron Burr.
CLICK HERE for information about Jean Lafitte.

Don

Last edited by timoneer on Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:32 am, edited 5 times in total.

Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:11 am
Admin

I just finished "Treason’s River" by Edwin Thomas. This is the third in the Lt. Martin Jerrold (RN) series following "Blighted Cliffs" and "The Chains of Albion."

....just a note to say that I purposely avoided what you have written, for the time being, as the book awaits me at the library. :lol: I hope to pick it up this week and at the conclusion will read your post. ;)

Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:51 am
Profile YIM

timoneer wrote:

....just a note to say that I purposely avoided what you have written, for the time being, as the book awaits me at the library. :lol: I hope to pick it up this week and at the conclusion will read your post. ;)

Thanks for the reminder Mary. I went back and put a spoiler alert in my post. I don't think I posted anything critical but better safe than sorry. Have a good read!

Don

Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:01 pm
Admin

Mil Goose wrote:
timoneer wrote:

Thanks for the reminder Mary. I went back and put a spoiler alert in my post. I don't think I posted anything critical but better safe than sorry. Have a good read!

Don

...I wasn't chucking out hints about "spoilers", btw, but rather that I wanted to say I would comment on the book when I'd finished it. :)

I also want to split/separate the book to its own thread with a bit of help from Susan as I think it is, from what I have read so far (about a third), of particular interest to American readers.

I have a question about it so far, though; what type of vessel is it that Jerrold travels in on the Mississippi? I'm intrigued about that.

Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:29 pm
Profile YIM

I have a question about it so far, though; what type of vessel is it that Jerrold travels in on the Mississippi? I'm intrigued about that.

Mary, Click Here for an image of an "Ohio River flat-boat."

Don

Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:16 pm
Admin

....thanks for that link, Don; much appreciated. It all adds to my big learning curve and I can just imagine it with Jerrold aboard. :)

Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:18 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

Mil Goose wrote:

Mary, Click Here for an image of an "Ohio River flat-boat."

........thanks for that link, Don; much appreciated. It all adds to my big learning curve and I can just imagine it with Jerrold aboard. :)

Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:20 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, the third in the Jerrold series. In my opinion, Thomas' writing continues to get better and better. I think his work is very descriptive and brought alive an area of the US that I do not know.

The political intrigue I was not aware of either, and I think he very cleverly plants Jerrold convincingly amongst it.

I agree with you, Don; I too expected more from the ending....it just sort of fizzled out. Nevertheless, it's a very enjoyable book, but one thing does bother me. Do you consider that Jerrold is gradually changing and is less "reluctant" than initially? I can see him evolving into a hero if his creator isn't careful. :)

Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:47 pm
Profile YIM

I agree with you, Don... Do you consider that Jerrold is gradually changing and is less "reluctant" than initially? I can see him evolving into a hero if his creator isn't careful. :)

Mary, I think you have made a very insightful appraisal. While he does "bumble and fumble" a few times, the author corrects his dilemma almost immediately. He seems to me to be much less inept and much less an anti-hero than in the beginning.

Don

Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]