View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Religion 

Post Religion
I noticed that there were some comments about the religion of some of the characters in the "John Williams: The Yankee" thread.

Certainly religion played a part in some of the real-life figures in the AoS so it was certain to appear in some fictional characters. I thought that there should be a thread for any discussion about that aspect.

Neither Jack Aubrey nor Stephen Maturin seemed to me to be particularly religious although SM was Catholic by birth. His statement in "The Far Side of the World" that he would not be able to abort the gunner’s wife was believable as both a Catholic decision as well as a doctor's "First do no harm" decision. I can image the gunner believing him more knowing he was Catholic than as a surgeon though. Richard Bolitho’s family had a connection with the local church but he didn’t seem to be a regular Bible reader either. Makes one think that the more successful AoS fictional characters were deliberately created to be "unpreachy" (assuming that is a word).

Like Susan, I find that too much religion in Aos books creates road bumps in my reading enjoyment. Some, in the right places, certainly might add to the story. Too much and I just want to skip those places. I say that knowing that religion has always fascinated me and that I read some religious books just to learn more about the different religions of the world. Salt is great on food, but half a bottle on my steak just ruins it!

I remember reading Robinson Crusoe (Defoe) as a kid and absolutely loving it. It remained on my top 10 life list until I re-read it as an adult several years ago. I did not remember any of the religious sections in that book. I think I must have read, unknowingly, an edited (or age-appropriate) edition as a kid. I still like the book but....

Don

Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:28 pm
Admin

It's a delicate balancing act, isn't it? Especially if the audience is a general one.

In terms of the Jon Williams book, religion is important in terms of defining the main character. While it may grate on my nerves here and there, I can certainly see the value of including it. The same with the Jay Worrall book. It will be interesting to see how being married to a Quaker affects Edgemont's views.

Religion also plays a part in Cooper's Wing-and-Wing. While it also defined the character of Ghita, it didn't seem as "in your face" as in Williams' book. Maybe it's because of the temperament of the respective characters? I will have to think about this a bit.

Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:01 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]