View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Identify That Scene! 
Admin

Post Identify That Scene!
This is inspired by my threads about authors borrowing from other authors. I thought it would be interesting/fun to see how much of the stories are borrowed from actual events. This would be events other than the obvious, named ones like Trafalgar, Diamond Rock, Algeciras, etc. or those noted by the author.

I guess I'll start off with a few:

HMS Surprise by Patrick O'Brian --> BHall's Fragments of Voyages and Travels. While not focusing on one event in particular, I believe (as everyone knows LOL) that POB used it as his framework.

The wreck of the Diane at the end of Thirteen Gun Salute continuing on into The Nutmeg of Consolation by Patrick O'Brian --> The wreck of the Alceste, commanded by Captain Murray Maxwell. (Yes, BHall connection here too LOL)

Lieutenant Farrell shoots and kills Lieutenant Powell in Seaflower by Julian Stockwin --> I believe this is based on a similar incident involving Thomas Pitt (Baron Camelford).

Please add more examples...thoughts...

Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:07 am
Profile YIM
Admin

This contribution isn't so much one particular incident but one that brought Jack Aubrey to mind as I soon I read it.

In Pocock's Captain Marryat it says "that Marryat, a strong swimmer dived over the side, kept the drowning youth afloat ...." then, " this was the first of a succession of such rescues of men overboard so that Midshipman Marryat became as renowned for saving life as for taking it in boarding enemy ships and raiding coasts..."

I'm not knocking these "borrowed" events. I think it is admirable that modern AoS writers read source material of the time.

Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:05 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

The mission of the Leopard and saving her from sinking in Desolation Island by POB --> Edward Riou and the Guardian. If you're not familiar with the account, here is a summary (which I see does note the POB connection at the bottom).

Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:30 am
Profile YIM
Commander

An element of Frank Mildmay's examination for lieutenant and the Examination for lieutenant in Midshipman Hornblower.
Mildmay is asked the same question as Hornblower at the open: being caught flat aback with Dover Cliffs two miles to loo'ard, if I recall it correctly.
Mildmay hms and haws, prevaricates, catches his wits and turns the tide on the captains. Hornblower, as we all know, skids out of mental control and is only saved by the signal gun.
Charity
(If I'm wrong, I apologize, but I remember being struck by the similarities when reading Mildmay recently.)

Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:22 am
Admin

The capture of the Lord Nelson by the French privateer Bellone, the subsequent encounter with the British brig Seagull, and the appearance of Colossus is based on an actual event. (POB kept the names of the ships for his version in Post Captain)

Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:25 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]