View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Frederick Marryat: "The King's Own" 
Admin

Post Frederick Marryat: "The King's Own"
I recently completed this yarn .... what an adventure!!!

I basically see at as a study of the many facets of mankind which FM tells through a very clever little plot which just when I thought things were tidying up at the end, was not the case at all!

The story takes the reader through life 200 years ago linked with, as you would expect from a naval captain, many sea incidents which leaves me wondering how much of Marryat himself was in there.

The story covers the Nore mutiny and its dire consequences, smuggling, a long voyage to the sub-continent, life at sea, dire weather conditions, disease, and a very long exciting chase at sea. ... that's amongst all the other stuff too long to list.

Marryat's little asides to his reader is one of his endearing treats in which he tells of life with his grandmother when he was small, his description of ants as he sat in his cabin at sea, and his attempts at writing with the table tied down in rough weather.

His characters are lively and intriguing; he makes clever use of their names (as John Davis did in The Post Captain) such as his Captain Capperbar who misappropriated funds to the benefit of his own household. It does make me wonder how much of the naval anecdotes that he relays are based on real events/incidents/people.

There is a long review of the book in United Services Journal No.18 of June, 1830, which says " .. the author lashes us with as much vigour as wit... indeed, the whole narrative is supported with dramatic skill....." but also contains the following, "we do not, however, approve of the early adventures of the accomplished smuggler, nor of the exaggerated picture of Capperbar; the former detracts from the odium of vice, and the latter libels a noble service...."

A great book...very, very readable and I can't wait to read more of Marryat's work.

Incidentally, at the moment I am also reading Pocock's biography of him, aptly entitled Captain Marryat.

Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:15 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

I love the bit about the ants and the description of the cabin in rough weather.

It's also cool that he mentions Basil along the way.
;)

Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:06 pm
Profile YIM
Commander

I just picked this book up, along with The Privateersman and POB's The Unknown Shore, for a relative song at a local used book store.

Before I can report on my thoughts, though, I need to clear the decks of some other reading material.

Charity

Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]