View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Naomi Novik: Temeraire 
Admin

Ms. Novik doesn't understand ships. At one point she has her ship's captain/dragonrider standing looking forward on the bow of a cutter running before the wind, with a wind blowing on his face. Oops. The book has lots of minor mistakes and glitches that became distracting.

She didn't do the best job on her homework. I wonder if she had someone who was familiar with the navy/ships review it? If not, it would have helped.

While I continued on with the next few books, I haven't bought the latest. I guess I've sort of lost interest, especially since the naval elements take a back seat.

Quote:
The human/dragon relationships never quite worked for me. The dragons seemed like huge super-intelligent talking puppy dogs whereas the human characters seemed more Regency clichés than people.

I guess her target market was the "fangirl/fanboy" element more than anything.

As I mentioned in my post above, I felt she drew a lot from the Aubrey/Maturin pairing. (And wasn't Stephen described as "reptilian" at one point? Or was it just that he had beady, reptilian eyes? LOL Or am I thinking of some other character altogether?) The relationship in the story worked for me for the most part, but unfortunately I kept thinking "Aubrey/Maturin...Aubrey/Maturin" rather than seeing them as a unique pairing. Does that make any sense at all?

Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:38 pm
Profile YIM
Midshipman

As I mentioned in my post above, I felt she drew a lot from the Aubrey/Maturin pairing. (And wasn't Stephen described as "reptilian" at one point? Or was it just that he had beady, reptilian eyes? LOL Or am I thinking of some other character altogether?) The relationship in the story worked for me for the most part, but unfortunately I kept thinking "Aubrey/Maturin...Aubrey/Maturin" rather than seeing them as a unique pairing. Does that make any sense at all?

I think the Aubrey Maturin pairing works, notwithstanding issues of scale and scales.

I kept thinking of Michael Knight and Kit from the horrible TV show Knightrider. The car always seemed smarter than the driver and I kept suspecting that the dragon was also smarter than the rider. I might have enjoyed the book if if had Jack and Stephen in mind. Who knows.

As cross-over books go, Novik's may not be the worst of the lot. I understand that "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies", the Classic Regency Romance—Now with Ultraviolent Zombie Mayhem!, is coming out this week and that a new movie "Pride and Predator" is in production.

Rick Spilman
Old Salt Blog

Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:44 pm
Profile WWW
Admin

I kept thinking of Michael Knight and Kit from the horrible TV show Knightrider

:lol:

Quote:
As cross-over books go, Novik's may not be the worst of the lot. I understand that "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies", the Classic Regency Romance—Now with Ultraviolent Zombie Mayhem!, is coming out this week and that a new movie "Pride and Predator" is in production.

How...odd. It sounds like it could be more funny (MST3K anyone?) than anything else.

I'm surprised no one has done Predator=Jack the Ripper (Jack the Predator?) or something like that. But maybe that's too obvious.

Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:09 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

Has any one an opinion about Laurence's next "assignment." There were no battles there that I remember. Will the next book be a book of "discovery"?

Well, maybe war of 1812? Or later on, the Opium Wars, for the China element. Might need a new officer to replace Laurence though, due to advancing age.

Since we're in Predator mode. Maybe Temeraire could be sent to the polar regions to find Franklin...although on second thought maybe he wouldn't do so well in the cold being a reptile. In the same vein as Alien vs. Predator, we could have Temeraire vs. Tuunbaq. (Tuunbaq is the monster in Dan Simmons' The Terror.) Sorry, getting silly. LOL

Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:30 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

I recently posted a review of His Majesty's Dragon on my blog if anyone is interested.

His Majesty’s Dragon by Naomi Novik - A Review

Thank you for pointing out in your review that reading POB does not make one a naval or ship expert. Despite its popularity, I don't read fanfiction because of this. So many people (fangirls/fanboys) think they can write convincing AoS fiction using POB as a guide/fact book.

Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:46 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

I just read that the next book in the series is set in Australia and deals with William Bligh and the unrest surrounding his term as governor.

Wed May 27, 2009 1:34 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Post Re:
timoneer wrote:
timoneer wrote:
I just realized that the fifth book in Naomi Novik's series titled "Victory of Eagles" has been released just last month. I am going to pick it up today if available. I wonder if anyone has read it yet?

The main elements in this book are the "unsatisfactory" (to me) resolution of the cliffhanger ending to the 4th book (i.e. the "treason" of Will Laurence) and the invasion of Britain by Napoleon.

I just picked this up a few weeks ago and started on it, because I needed some brain candy since work and ship stuff have been quite stressful lately. I have to agree with you so far. It's like something is missing.

And I noticed I've been irritated by small things. What is up with the overuse (in my opinion) of semicolons and colons? Usually, I don't really notice punctuation and don't get too picky, but for some reason, it's really bugging me with this book.

Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:20 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Post Re: Naomi Novik: Temeraire
I finally finished Victory of Eagles. I wasn't really impressed by it. While I don' t mind reading about land-based warfare, I found myself missing the naval elements. However, what little there was confused me.

I wasn't sure what was happening with Nelson going to Copenhagen after surviving Trafalgar. If it was explained, I must have missed it.

In terms of the army bits, I had to groan when I read the following:

"...Laurence, do you not like those skirts they are wearing over there?"
"Those are the Scots Greys cavalry," Laurence said, looking through his glass.

Er...kilts...a bit awkward, and I imagine, rather uncomfortable for fellows on horseback.

Oh well...it's fantasy. :roll:

Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:38 am
Profile YIM
Commander

susan wrote:
I finally finished Victory of Eagles. I wasn't really impressed by it. While I don' t mind reading about land-based warfare, I found myself missing the naval elements. However, what little there was confused me.

I wasn't sure what was happening with Nelson going to Copenhagen after surviving Trafalgar. If it was explained, I must have missed it.

In terms of the army bits, I had to groan when I read the following:

"...Laurence, do you not like those skirts they are wearing over there?"
"Those are the Scots Greys cavalry," Laurence said, looking through his glass.

Er...kilts...a bit awkward, and I imagine, rather uncomfortable for fellows on horseback.

Oh well...it's fantasy. :roll:

The Scots Greys rode side-saddle of course.

Thank you, Susan. You have quashed any thought I might have had about reading these books.

Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:52 am
Admin

IONIA wrote:
The Scots Greys rode side-saddle of course.

:lol:

Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:26 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2