View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Literary irritations .... 
Lieutenant

I’d still go with: "HMS Surprise is…" (and I would have put Surprise in italics, but I cannot seem to manage it!).

Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:56 pm
Profile WWW
Lieutenant

I’d still go with: "HMS Surprise is…" (and I would have put Surprise in italics, but I cannot seem to manage it!).

Fair enough. If you look at the web-page, you will be doubly irritated to notice that both "HMS" and "Surprise" are in italics! There is some rather peculiar grammar later in the same paragraph.

Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:23 pm
Profile WWW
Lieutenant

Badger wrote:
I hate "the" before HMS: we went to see the HMS Victory... (and to be a real pedant, when HMS is in italics along with the name).

It makes me cross too, especially when I hear BBC announcers use it - they should know better, surely.
What do you make of it in the context of this page of <a href="http://tallship.typepad.com/">Traditional Boats & Tall Ships Magazine</a>? At the bottom of this page there is an entry that begins: "The HMS Surprise is arguably one of the most well-known vessels in naval fiction..." Do you think that it is OK to prefix "the" here, since "HMS Surprise" is the complete name of a fictional ship?

HMS Surprise was a non-fictional, real, actual ship. She was the French corvette Unite, captured in 1796, renamed HMS Surprise, 28, and sold in 1802. She famously was the ship that recaptured the Hermione. :D

-clash

Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:03 pm
Profile WWW
Midshipman

Post Re: Footnotes
susan wrote:
timoneer wrote:
Mil Goose wrote:
...better than none at all, Don; I find that even more annoying.

One of my few complaints about POB.

Probably a practical matter. Footnotes would have doubled the length of his books. :D

One of the things that I love about POB is that the obscure references can be ignored or be researched,as time permits. Footnotes would take some of the fun out of it.

Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:25 am
Profile WWW
Midshipman

Over time I have become more of a jargon agnostic. Knots per hour use to annoy me, until I saw it entered on a period ship's log.

I now get amused by the POBers who get worked up over calling an ocean-going vessel with fewer that three square rigged masts a ship. Yes, I know that in the late 17th and early 18th centuries the convention shifted from labeling vessels by hull form to labeling them by rig, (with a few notable exceptions, such a sloop of war which could be anything from a ketch to ship rigged.)

I recall once when someone jumped all over me for referring to a brig as ship. It just wasn't done. You would have been laughed at, only a lubber would call a brig a ship, and so on, at some length. Of course, if one looks up "brig" in Falconer, he defines a brig as "a merchant-ship with two masts". What else could it be other than a ship?

I enjoy discovering new jargon, but try not to be too rigid in its use.

Rick Spilman
Old Salt Blog

Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:50 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Literary irritations .... Obscenities
I am currently reading a novel with what I think has an excessive use of the "F" word. Some use of that word does not bother me but this word popped up too often IMO.

Authors writing in the Age of Sail have plenty of colorful and varied obscenities to pick from; enough that any obscenity should not have to be repeated often.

I do not consider myself a prude in any way. I just finished reading a (non-AoS) series that contained many uses of this same word. I thought the series was incredibly good and had no objection to any of the obscenities.

Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:05 pm

Post Re: Literary irritations ....overuse of the same word
I dislike it when an author uses the same word too frequently. One author (that I really like) irks me with the too frequent used of the word "sanguine" (in the sense of optimistic). It’s like he doesn’t own a thesaurus.

And... since sanguine has several meanings, I do a double-take every time I see it.

Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5