View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Literary irritations .... 
Admin

Post Literary irritations ....
Nothing annoys me in our genre of the word sailor being used instead of sailer when pertaining to the vessel itself. Whether it be the error of the author/typesetter, or whoever, it really rankles.

What annoys you?

Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:56 pm
Profile YIM

Post Sanding decks to "absorb blood"
Sanding decks to "absorb blood"

My personal pet peeve is when fictional writers state that, before battle, decks are sanded to absorb blood.

Certainly the decks are wetted to prevent the spread of sparks reaching powder awaiting the next loading. Since wetting the deck creates a slippery surface to walk on, a light sanding of the wet deck restores good traction. But to absorb blood, not very logical.

Don

edited Aug 11, 2006
Click Here for more thoughts on this subject.

Don

Last edited by timoneer on Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:31 am
Commander

Port was not in use in the age of sail. It was Larboard. Only later did the use of Port come into use to avoid confusion with Starboard.

Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:06 am
Admin

"Port" is listed in Falconer's Dictionary of the Marine (1780 edition), so it was being used in the AoS. It was not until the mid 1800s that it was officially ordered to be used instead of larboard.

Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:07 pm
Profile YIM
Commander

I stand appropriately reproved. Thanks for correcting me, Susan.
Charity

Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:51 am
Admin

I know this probably bugs others as well. The inappropriate use of "HMS" when referring to vessels that aren't technically "ships."

Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:19 pm
Profile YIM

Post Maps
Another irritating thing for me is a lousy map. I like it when the author has one, but I would love for the places mentioned in the text to be actually shown on the map. In addition, some maps are so cluttered with places not mentioned that it is difficult to find the places that are. I also wish that the publishers would put the maps in the appropriate chapter rather that just lump them in the beginning of the book as so many are.

Don

Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:30 am
Admin

I know this probably bugs others as well. The inappropriate use of "HMS" when referring to vessels that aren't technically "ships."

...that has long annoyed me!! :D

Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:41 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

Post Re: Maps
timoneer wrote:
Another irritating thing for me is a lousy map.

Or no map at all.

Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:47 pm
Profile YIM

Post Dates
Dates
Another irritation for me is the way that some authors handle dates in non-fiction books. Sometimes the "year" is not mentioned very often at all. I find myself searching back over half a chapter looking for the year when all has been mentioned are the months for many paragraphs. Also, I am irritated trying to figure out what month is meant by "the fifteenth of the following month." The best handling of this, in my opinion, was the device by Arthur Bryant in his biography of Samuel Pepys where the year was placed on the top right of the pages. Thus, if the author is briefly discussing some earlier events, this fact is easily recognized.

The biography of William IV that I am currently reading is horrible for this. The first half of the first chapter has no dates at all. The only way I could find the date that he first went to sea as a midshipman was to use the Internet. Sad.

Don

Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:20 pm
Admin

Post Re: Dates
timoneer wrote:
Dates
Another irritation for me is the way that some authors handle dates in non-fiction books. Sometimes the "year" is not mentioned very often at all.

.... I find this happens in non-fiction, too. One particular book I have read is liberally sprinkled with post-its showing the year which applied at the time....and while I am in moaning mode, too much use of "former and latter" I find irritating as well, leaving me to re-read and find out to just what the author is referring. This, too, happens in non-fiction as well as fiction.

Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:25 pm
Profile YIM

Post Footnotes
Footnotes

I just love footnotes. Especially the type that adds explanatory or additional information, not just citations where the information originates. My overwhelming preference is that the footnotes appear at the bottom of the page. No flipping back and forth in the book. My second preference is for them to appear together at the end of the book. I can use a bookmark and flip to the same relative place as the chapters and footnotes progress. My very last choice is what I am running into while reading "Nelson’s Hero" by Victor T. Sharman. The footnotes are at the end of every chapter. I dislike moving my footnote bookmark for every chapter. Just finding the end of the chapter is a pain. Do I look to the contents page to get the last page or do I just flip ahead until I find them. Both are a waste of time and interrupt the flow of reading, IMHO.

Don

Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:24 pm
Admin

Post Re: Footnotes
timoneer wrote:

I just love footnotes. Especially the type that adds explanatory or additional information, not just citations where the information originates. My overwhelming preference is that the footnotes appear at the bottom of the page. No flipping back and forth in the book. My second preference is for them to appear together at the end of the book. I can use a bookmark and flip to the same relative place as the chapters and footnotes progress. My very last choice is what I am running into while reading "Nelson’s Hero" by Victor T. Sharman. The footnotes are at the end of every chapter. I dislike moving my footnote bookmark for every chapter. Just finding the end of the chapter is a pain. Do I look to the contents page to get the last page or do I just flip ahead until I find them. Both are a waste of time and interrupt the flow of reading, IMHO.

...better than none at all, Don; I find that even more annoying.

Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:37 pm
Profile YIM

Mil Goose wrote:

Mary, I hardily concur. One of my few complaints about POB.
Don

Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:31 pm
Admin

timoneer wrote:
Mil Goose wrote:

One of my few complaints about POB.

Probably a practical matter. Footnotes would have doubled the length of his books. :D

Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:59 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next