View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Sorting out the Gerards 
Admin

Post Sorting out the Gerards
I'm working on the SN Character list for Hornblower in the West Indies and I've run into a problem with Gerard, HH's flag lieutenant, and his relationship with the other Gerards in the Horblower series.

Gerard I - Lieutenant on both Lydia and Sutherland
Gerard II - Midshipman on Nonsuch, and nephew of Gerard I (as I understand)
Gerard III - HH's Flag Lieutenant, who "received his appointment as the son of an old friend."

Is Gerard III, the son of Gerard I? Or is he actually Gerard II, with CSF making a mistake? Or is he a new Gerard altogether and not related to either Gerard I or II?

Help?

Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:46 pm
Profile YIM
Commander

I always took him to be Gerard II, as the age and actions would be about right for him to have become a lieutenant in time to serve as Horatio's flag lieutenant. Gerard I was single at the time of the Sutherland's capture/destruction at Rosas Bay, or at least no mention of his being married was ever made.
Gerard I was, if I recall correctly, referred to as a ladies man in Beat to Quarters and would not have had time to father a child and see it enter the navy in the time needed to serve out six years as a midshipman before passing the examination for lieutenant.
Therefore, I believe Gerard II and III are the same person. Undoubtedly by the time Gerard II joined Hornblower and Bush in the Nonsuch, his father would have become an acquaintance of Horatio's, and thus the willingness to take on the lad as midshipman to begin with.
CS would have done us all a favor by imbuing more of his characters with first and last names, don't you think?
Charity

Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:16 am
Admin

I agree with you about the timing. I just thought it was strange that CSF didn't make reference to Gerard serving with HH before, if Gerard III = Gerard II (unless I missed that reference, which is quite possible!).

Would have been nice if CSF had given them first names. :lol:

Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:26 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]