View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Real locations & ficticious Characters 
Admin

Post Real locations & ficticious Characters
I wondered if this might make a fun thread, for those who get so much pleasure from reading nautical fiction, and particularly since we all have the opportunity to search the Web for information.

Susan once mentioned, I believe, that Drinkwater retired to Hollesley Bay in Suffolk, and since I am so fond of that county, I thought it would be a good one to kick off with. So here we go: Hollesley Bay.

Incidentally, I tried to get down there at the end of September on my brief Suffolk sojourn, but I already knew that guests of Her Majesty reside in the vicinity, and I found it difficult to get down to the beach itself. Suffolk, and in particular, southern coastal Suffolk is such a wild a beautiful place, you could quite see why Drinkwater would want to live there, and, interestingly, his creator doesn't live very far from there!

Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:14 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Post Ashgrove Cottage
Here's another one for fun that I used on another site, and which, if I remember correctly, Susan found initially.

Jack was said to have been able to see Portsmouth Harbour from Ashrove Cottage, so using this set of maps where do you think the location of the cottage would be approximately?

Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:30 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

When I went to Falmouth, I did wonder where the fictional Bolitho estate was supposed to be located. The English Heritage guidebook for Pendennis and St. Mawes contains some lovely photos of the area.

Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:31 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]