View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Sea-going pets in fiction - might contains spoilers!! 
Admin

Post Sea-going pets in fiction - might contains spoilers!!
On a similar vein to Susan's thread for RL seafarers and their pets, I thought one in fiction might be fun.

I initially mention "Naseby", the dog of the marine captain, who appeared in POB's The Hundred Days, and his encounter with the "Hand of Glory." The dog consumes a severed hand that SM is dissecting, and which Stephen needs to recover -- amusing reading.

Feel free to add, please.

Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:00 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

I've just started on Marmaduke Merry, the Midshipman by W.H.G. Kingston. There's an amusing bit in Chapter 2 about the captain's goat. The goat, named Nancy, butted the first lieutenant, who happened to be walking on deck:

"Our gallant first never appeared very firm on his pins, and, the blow doubling his knees, down he came, stern first, on the deck with his heels in the air, while the goat, highly delighted at her performance, and totally unconscious of her gross infraction of naval discipline, frolicked off forward in search of fresh adventures."

Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:56 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

I've just started on Marmaduke Merry, the Midshipman by W.H.G. Kingston. There's an amusing bit in Chapter 2 about the captain's goat. The goat, named Nancy, butted the first lieutenant, who happened to be walking on deck:

"Our gallant first never appeared very firm on his pins, and, the blow doubling his knees, down he came, stern first, on the deck with his heels in the air, while the goat, highly delighted at her performance, and totally unconscious of her gross infraction of naval discipline, frolicked off forward in search of fresh adventures."

That's a comical one :D .... even just imagining it, brings a smile. Thanks!

Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:56 am
Profile YIM
Admin

I notice in Marryat's The King's Own that Captain M of the Aspasia frigate has a Newfoundland dog, as yet nameless.

Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:46 am
Profile YIM
Admin

I notice in Marryat's The King's Own that Captain M of the Aspasia frigate has a Newfoundland dog, as yet nameless.

..... nameless no longer......his name is Hector!! :)

Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:31 am
Profile YIM
Admin

The San Fiorenzo in Rayner's The Long Fight has a ship's cat by the name of "Napoleon".

Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:28 am
Profile YIM
Admin

In The Three Midshipmen by WHG Kingston - whom I mentioned on Kingston's own thread was the grandnephew of my avatar, Sir Harry - there is the yarn of a monkey aboard, called Quirk.

The marine lieutenant aboard, Mr Spry, was not liked by either those above him in rank, nor those below; the midshipmen aboard particularly disliked him. The lieutenant had a pompous air and when blowing his nose he drew his white handkerchief from his pocket with what he though was great dignity. Spry gave our heroes a very difficult time, and when they had enough, they dressed Quirk in red coat, belt and hat, with the breast pocket containing a handkerchief, and trained the monkey to pull out the hankie in front of Spry much to the hilarity of everyone who saw the incident.

A fictitious incident, I know, which is a good deal more amusing and lengthy than I have related, but I wonder if it is based on one of Basil Hall's accounts that I know Susan has tucked up her sleeve.

Would you oblige with the comparison, Susan, please? Thanks....

Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:50 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

A fictitious incident, I know, which is a good deal more amusing and lengthy than I have related, but I wonder if it is based on one of Basil Hall's accounts that I know Susan has tucked up her sleeve.

Sounds amusing! :D Hard to say how similar the details are compared to Hall's text, since I haven't had the opportunity to read Kingston's monkey tale in its entirety.

I'll post part of Hall's account in the "Pets" thread in the "Life at Sea and on Shore" section for those who may be interested and haven't already seen it.

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:42 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]