View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Jack Aubrey (Patrick O'Brian) 
Volunteer

Oh, don't get Susan going on that one.

Oh, I know and totally agree about the bear skin, actually Susan and I have discussed that one a time or two! I was so surprised that POB would put something so unrealistic in a book that he strived so hard to make as realistic as possible as far as all of the nautical details and such.

Here is a quote for you from The Surgeons Mate
Jack: "Oh, I should never say anything so unlucky as that. I should never count the bear's skin before it is hatched, oh no." :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:40 am
Volunteer

, but I'm sure the household must have been very quiet without Mrs W about.

No I'm sure all you could hear then was Charlotte calling little George a "fat-arsed f*****g swab" I loved that, can you imagine Sophie's horror? :shock:

Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:48 am
Admin

No I'm sure all you could hear then was Charlotte calling little George a "fat-arsed f*****g swab" I loved that, can you imagine Sophie's horror? :shock:

I think with the author's death it was such a shame not to be able to read more of Jack's children. Like the passage you mentioned above, there were so many amusing passages about them peppered throughout the books.

I would have liked to have read more about young George, who at the time of Blue at the Mizzen was serving under Heneage Dundas aboard Lion, 74. The passage that left me wanting more was, towards the end of the book, in letter from Sophie to Jack "...and Heneage Dundas is not quite pleased with George's conduct in Lion....". Was George to be a hell-raiser like his father?

Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:55 am
Profile YIM
Volunteer

Was George to be a hell-raiser like his father?

I think George was portrayed as being very much like his father, both physically and in character. I think George could have been quite the little helion. And we know what kind of trouble Jack got into as a midshipman.

I found it very difficult to imagine Sam Panda in my minds eye. A perfect version of Jack only very black. I never could get my brain around that one. I was surprised too that Sophie took that one as well as she did, even though she knew that it happened long before her time.

I highly doubt that there were many naval officers that were faithful to their marriages, afterall it would have been difficult so long at sea. You would never have been able to trust them when they were gone or else you would have had to have a very liberal view of the whole thing. Diana was like that I guess to a certain extent but then Diana did not seem like a very realistic character to me.

Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:42 am
Admin

I was surprised too that Sophie took that one as well as she did, even though she knew that it happened long before her time.

....she wasn't quite as tolerant though, was she, when it came to the bolt of crimson fabric shared with Clarissa Oakes, was she? :D

Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:53 pm
Profile YIM
Volunteer

....she wasn't quite as tolerant though, was she, when it came to the bolt of crimson fabric shared with Clarissa Oakes, was she?

No, but what about the letter the old lady found from Amanda Smith? Jack was really Lucky Jack on that one, that could have really been bad. I did admire Sophie for coming to terms on that one, I don't know if I could have been so forgiving. Even though throughout the whole thing my sympathies were with Jack, as they always were, I guess.

Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:04 am
Admin

Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:07 pm
Profile YIM
Commander

That'd be Jack all right, sweeting off a few stone from his plump body.
Great site, Susan
Charity

Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2