View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Jack Aubrey (Patrick O'Brian) 
Admin

Post Jack Aubrey (Patrick O'Brian)
I can't think of anything I want to say about him at the moment. Maybe someone else has a point they'd like to discuss?

Last edited by susan on Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:06 pm
Profile YIM

I would love someone to come at this character (Jack Aubrey) from some new angle but I would not be surprised if very few posts are made. For me, discussions about Jack (as well as both Bolithos) are just becoming stale. After about one year at The Bolitho Group, I am Bolitho-ed and Aubrey-ed OUT. Maybe when Kent/Reeman's next two books come out, we will have new grist for our mill, but poor Aubrey... sadly, no future books from POB.

Don't get me wrong, I like all three of these characters -- being flawed only makes them more interesting to me.

Maybe someone who has never read these two series would read them and post questions and comments book by book. Might be an interesting project for the right person -- and help to spice up the discussions.

Don

Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:58 pm
Admin

I would love someone to come at this character (Jack Aubrey) from some new angle but I would not be surprised if very few posts are made. For me, discussions about Jack (as well as both Bolithos) are just becoming stale.

I'm sorry you find the Aubrey/Bolitho discussions stale. While I can understand where you are coming from, there will always be readers who are new to a particular series and want to discuss the books. My intent, when I created the character threads, was to encourage people (new readers and old hands) to talk about the characters if they wish, especially if they are too shy to start a new thread on their own.

Perhaps you can comment on some of the other characters you have read about or start a new thread?

Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:40 am
Profile YIM

Maybe someone who has never read these two series would read them and post questions and comments book by book. Might be an interesting project for the right person -- and help to spice up the discussions.

Don

Susan, I made the suggestion above to encourage new readers and I was just explaining why I was encouraging such a request.

I sincerely would like to hear a few new, original comments about these characters -- from new or old readers -- so I share your goals. I must point out that I must enjoy these characters a lot as I recently re-read both the Bolitho and Aubrey series.

I must admit that I have not found any stale topics here ... as this Forum covers a very wide spectrum of discussions. Your Forum keeps me on my toes as nothing in the AoS is ignored. I find myself scrambling around just trying to keep up. My "To Read" stack is pretty high right now. My compliments to you and the other members here. This is a very interesting place.

Don

Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:16 am
Admin

I don't suppose I will be adding anything new here about Jack but I like him!

He wasn't a sleeve-toucher like Dick Bolitho, but he knew his men and, for the most part, respected them if they deserved his respect. I like this big sixteen-stone man who mismanaged his affairs at home; I like his chuckling at his own jokes; I like his patience with Maturin's seemedly inability to come to grips with nautical terms and thankfully he wasn't seen off by his creator, who unfortunately left Jack before Jack could leave him.

I am close to finishing the series but I don't think it was POB's intention to finish Jack off by what I read from other groups.

All I can say is ... alleluia for Jack Aubrey! I have enjoyed sailing with him more than any other nautical hero.

Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:22 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

I like this big sixteen-stone man who mismanaged his affairs at home

It does make me wonder how many officers (and sailors) fell prey to the land-sharks.

Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:27 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

Ah, I've thought of something to say. :lol:

I like Aubrey's cheerful nature. I also like the music aspect. It's a nice example of how there were more sides to the naval men. It wasn't all just blowing up stuff with cannons.

Some of the puns turn into pun-nishment after a while, though. And don't get me started on the bear skin thing!

One thing that I find slightly distracting is how POB takes a real event and merely swaps Aubrey in the place of one of the participants. (And I'm not talking about the Basil stuff here. :? ) I'm not saying it's bad, just distracting because of the way my strange mind works. For example, when I read Desolation Island, I found myself thinking "Hey it's Edward Riou and the Guardian!" Now, I guess it's turned into a sort of game I play with myself...seeing if I can spot the real events (aside from the big battles and well known actions) POB used as the basis for his stories.

Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:59 pm
Profile YIM
Commander

Aubrey is an enjoyable, fallible character, who seems more likely to die from a coronary than an enemy's iron. If POB had just gone so far as to create some original story lines the books would be even more enjoyable. Knowing that The Mauritius Command is based upon actual events (as is Master and Commander, among other books) has actually kept me from continuing with the series. The more I want to know about the Mauritius campaign, the more I am inclined to read actual accounts rather than a fictionalized version staring Jack.
Sorry for going a bit off topic here.
Like I said at the start, I like Jack. He has a hard time with success once he steps foot ashore, even though I believe he truly loves Sophie.
Charity

Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:27 am
Admin

Like I said at the start, I like Jack. He has a hard time with success once he steps foot ashore, even though I believe he truly loves Sophie.

:lol: Wouldn't he make a good one to add to 'fictional heroes and their women' thread!! :wink:

Yes, and I believe he loves Sophie, too.

Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:27 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

I recently finished this wonderful 20-book series - and a little of 21- with a certain amount of sadness that the adventure was over, but with happiness in that POB never killed Jack off.

In The Hundred Days, he killed off two major characters, plus one minor one. There is reference to Jack being much saddened by Bowden's demise, but I was somewhat suprised, unless I am much mistaken, that Stephen hardly notices Diana's passing.

Do you think he ever really loved her? Was POB paving the way for the introduction of the "new lady" for a major part in future books?

I'm curious to know what you think, as I always thought, that although ill-matched, Stephen loved Diana.

Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:39 am
Profile YIM
Midshipman

SPOILERS PERHAPS
In The Hundred Days, he killed off two major characters, plus one minor one. There is reference to Jack being much saddened by Bowden's demise, but I was somewhat suprised, unless I am much mistaken, that Stephen hardly notices Diana's passing.

Do you think he ever really loved her? Was POB paving the way for the introduction of the "new lady" for a major part in future books?

I looked on it as an author "shaking up" the series to restore some character conflict and tension. With Stephen and Diana almost disgustingly affectionate, Bridget's autism behind her, and Jack's infidelities finally uncovered and forgiven, O'Brian was facing a paucity of items he could hang a book on. About the only other thing he COULD add would be a fatal, lingering disease. Instead, he kills off the character who was the subject of the main romantic tension of the entire series so he could start over again.

I didn't have the feeling that Stephen "hardly noticed" her passing. But his entire life had been full of disappointments regarding Diana; losing her was not unusual, except the utter finality of this case. He could have slipped back to his laudanum addiction, but he did still have cocaine as a crutch.

I did like the way O'Brian handled Bonden's loss, though I mourned him myself. The dead and mortally wounded were just put overside quickly during the heat of battle, Aubrey still did have a chase to win, but the facade cracked a bit when it was Bonden's turn. I was dismayed myself, but have to admire how realistically it was treated....no buildup of tension, no forshadowing, no leaping-out-to-take-the-bullet-for-the-hero. Just a sudden, shocking, death, and back to business as usual.

Finally, we should note that Diana's death brought about the death of Mrs. Williams, as well. Too high a price to pay? :-)

Ron Wanttaja

Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:21 pm
Profile WWW
Volunteer

I'm sure I am not as well read as many of you but since I have read the Aubrey/Maturin series twice now I would like to throw out a comment or two, if only just to give you all an opportunity to show me up! LOL

First of all I would like to say that Mil's opinion on JA was smashing, it is exactly how I would have described him, the feelings that I had while reading the series. I believe Stephen described him once as having a "greatness of soul", I thought it was very fitting.

As far as Bondon's death and Diana's also, the first time I read of Bondon's death I was extremely disappointed in how POB handled it, for someone who was with JA for so long it really seemed blown off, the second time I read it ,however, I suppose I knew what was coming I no longer had the shock of it to deal with, I then thought it was handled quite well. Living in those circumstances with death possible at any moment and in ,of course, having witnessed so many, I suppose it would be a little too sentimental to go on about it too much. I remember, though, thinking that the lad that had fallen out of the rigging had died not long before that,someone Jack hardly knew, drew tears from Jack and the fact that Bondon's death occured not long after and didn't, is was struck me so odd the first time around.

As far as Diana's death, I did kind of get that feeling somewhat, but not having had much affection for her in the first place didn't touch me as much as Bondon.

Not to get too windy, here is where I will end it.

Navyblue

.....the bear skin LOL :wink:

Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:43 pm
Admin

Long time no see!

Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:14 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Pleased to "see" you, NB; I know JA is your favourite AoS character, as he is mine.

Navyblue wrote:

As far as Bondon's death and Diana's also, the first time I read of Bondon's death I was extremely disappointed in how POB handled it, for someone who was with JA for so long it really seemed blown off, the second time I read it ,however, I suppose I knew what was coming I no longer had the shock of it to deal with, I then thought it was handled quite well. Living in those circumstances with death possible at any moment and in ,of course, having witnessed so many, I suppose it would be a little too sentimental to go on about it too much. I remember, though, thinking that the lad that had fallen out of the rigging had died not long before that,someone Jack hardly knew, drew tears from Jack and the fact that Bondon's death occured not long after and didn't, is was struck me so odd the first time around.

Perhaps, Ron will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there was one brief paragraph about Jack's grief for Bonden, which I, too, found suprising, and, as you say, especially in the case of the boy who fell out of the rigging and for whom Jack was upset. Maybe, as you said, it was because they constantly lived with the fragility of life in their profession.

Anyone else got any thoughts on that particular subject?

Quote:
As far as Diana's death, I did kind of get that feeling somewhat, but not having had much affection for her in the first place didn't touch me as much as Bondon.

No, I suppose, because Jack had such a close relationship with his coxswain.

It would be interesting to hear what other POB devotees have to say on the subject.

Quote:
.....the bear skin LOL :wink:

Oh, don't get Susan going on that one. It's one of her least favourite POB incidents. She's brought it up in another thread somewhere. :lol:

Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:46 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

Finally, we should note that Diana's death brought about the death of Mrs. Williams, as well. Too high a price to pay? :-)

:D No, not too high a price to pay, but I'm sure the household must have been very quiet without Mrs W about. I must go back and have a re-read of the early books with Mrs W's interfering etc.

Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:52 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next