View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Fictional Naval Heroes and Their Women 
Admin

Post Fictional Naval Heroes and Their Women
Well, this thread was inspired by Charity. :D

One thing I always wondered about Richard Bolitho...if Cheney had lived, would he have cheated on her?

Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:28 am
Profile YIM
Commander

As to the question posed:
Had Cheney lived, I'd like to believe Richard would have remained faithful. He also would have become rather boring and never would have achieved the high rank and knighthood he received. Because of Cheney's death, Richard spends several years taking foolish risks with his own neck, risks that earn him attention and rewards outstripping those received by officers who lived a safer life. He didn't care if he lived or died in Flag Captain or even later after realizing that Belinda was but a pale shadow of Cheney. He was prepared to die at any time, only avoiding suicidal missions because he had too high a regard for his men's lives.
Looking at it from the dark side, it would depend on the charms of the woman he was tempted by and by the direction his personal compass was pointing at that time. If it was south, it would have been off to bed we go. North, and Cheney is the light of my life. East or West, and he'd be sorely tempted, but likely to bear off, unless, of course, he was south of Gibraltar. :wink:
Charity

Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:26 am
Midshipman

I think it really would have depended on how happy their marriage was. If they had lots of children in a marriage filled with love then I doubt Bolitho would have any inclination to stray. That is not to say that there need not be bumps along the way of course. But if the marriage had fallen apart, as his union with Belinda did, then yes he probably would have.

Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:13 pm
Profile WWW
Commander

Cheney passed on marriage to a higher-ranking officer to web Bolitho, meaning she put love before ambition. Belinda, in my opinion, put ambition before Love. That, I suppose, was within her rights as she had already married once for love. Sadly we did not get to see as much of Cheney as we did Belinda, but the impression given is one of deep, lasting love. Cheney died with child, though it seems Richard's motility rate was not inclined to producing a housefull of children.
Charity

Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:47 am
Admin

Belinda, in my opinion, put ambition before Love. That, I suppose, was within her rights as she had already married once for love.

The whole Belinda thing didn't sit right with me. Bolitho was being pretty pushy in terms of persuing her, as I recall. Didn't she resist him at first, but as usual with Bolitho's women :roll:, gives into him? I believe she loved Bolitho, although it wasn't the "soulmate" sort of love. I think things all went south when she learned he was initially attracted to her because of her resemblance to Cheney. Ouch! I don't blame her for being bitter. How could she live up to someone who was Bolitho's "Madonna"?

Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:10 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

Here's another dysfunctional relationship for everyone to sink their teeth into: Stephen Maturin and Diana Villiers.

Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:14 pm
Profile YIM
Commander

HMS Charity wrote:
Belinda, in my opinion, put ambition before Love. That, I suppose, was within her rights as she had already married once for love.

The whole Belinda thing didn't sit right with me. Bolitho was being pretty pushy in terms of persuing her, as I recall. Didn't she resist him at first, but as usual with Bolitho's women :roll:, gives into him? I believe she loved Bolitho, although it wasn't the "soulmate" sort of love. I think things all went south when she learned he was initially attracted to her because of her resemblance to Cheney. Ouch! I don't blame her for being bitter. How could she live up to someone who was Bolitho's "Madonna"?

Indeed, Bolitho was pushing in pursuing Belinda, but once she set about pursuing him, which she did, it was with an eye to bettering her situation, then to living in London when she found out Bolitho was a rising star in the fleet. Sure dealing with the Cheney thing was difficult, but it rapidly proved to be her means of denying Bolitho the real love he was searching for, instead throwing Cheney's memory in his face at every turn of the page, er relationship.
In some regards, Bolitho got just what he deserved in Belinda, in others he totally deserved better.
Charity

Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:41 am
Admin

The relationship I like the best (so far) is the one between Nathaniel Drinkwater and his wife Elizabeth. Although we don't see much of her, just the thought she is there at home waiting for him is comforting.

Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:01 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]