View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 New Books - Feel Free to Add to this List 
Midshipman

I have just read the first three of what I hope will be a long and successful series of Young Adult novels by new author Paul Dowswell. They are aimed at the 8-12 year-old market and published by Bloomsbury. Available through your local bookshop or on Amazon, the books are:

Powder Monkey (ISBN 978-0-7475-9595-3)
Prison Ship (ISBN 978-0-7475-9594-6)
Battle Fleet (ISBN 978-0-7475-8910-5)

They chart the adventures of Sam Witchall, pressed into the Navy at the tender age of thirteen from a merchant vessel, and they tell vividly of life at sea in the first years of the nineteenth century. Although they use a first-person perspective, I feel confident that any younger reader will happily graduate from these to CSF, POB and the many other good AoS authors - and the adult AoS fan shouldn't be ashamed to have these books on their shelf!

Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:12 pm
Lieutenant

Michael Crichton has a new one. Apparently it was found as a finished draft in his files after his death. This one is billed as a "rollicking adventure"... it's a pirate story. Anyone else read it yet?

http://www.amazon.com/Pirate-Latitudes- ... 889&sr=8-2

(Edit...) Having finished it... well, it's not horrible... One of the reviews I saw said it read more like a movie treatment than a novel, & I have to agree. Reading, you think, "this is pure Hollywood". I'm sure he had a movie in mind. He does a very good job of presenting Port Royal as the sort of place people said deserved to be demolished by that earthquake. The period details sound pretty good. Some of his nautical stuff is a bit off -- questionable logic & tactics, & clearly he's never sailed square rig or actually tried bringing a ship's head to the wind without a mizzen mast... but most of it is pretty good & if you didn't read a lot of nautical fiction or history you wouldn't notice. Unfortunately, he goes a bit too Hollywood at the end, throwing in something that would make a flashier movie, but made me go "oh dear..." -- I'd been willing to go along with the story up till then. And just before that he adds another episode which just lengthens the story but which it could survive without... doesn't really have a purpose. There is rather a lot of blood & gore; gets a bit much. The hero isn't particularly likeable (counting on some hot actor to make him nicer?) & the ending was somewhat disappointing. Probably typical for the type of character, but was a bit of a downer & would be so in a movie as well.
His fans will probably like it; people who don't read much "serious" (??) nautical stuff will probably like it...

...life on land is DRY :(

Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:48 pm

Post Re: New Books - Feel Free to Add to this List
"The Invasion Year" - the 17th novel in the Alan Lewrie series by Dewey Lambdin will be published on January 18, 2011.

Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:12 am

"Seahorse" by Michael Aye is available. This is the fourth in the Fighting Anthonys series.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:40 am

"Blown Off Course" by David Donachie is currently available in the UK and will be available in the US on 15 Febuary, 2011. This novel is the seventh in the John Pearce series.

Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:38 pm
Lieutenant

Not quite "new"; it's been out for a little while, but, I recently read "Mutiny on the Bounty" by John Boyne. He tells the Bounty story from the viewpoint of a fictional captain's servant. Has anyone else read it? It's not bad, & he follows the events pretty well, but he paints Bligh as a very sympathetic character, & Christian as a (not too well characterized) complete villain. Also some of the nautical details are a little off. Of course non-age of sail fans won't notice a lot of that...

...life on land is DRY :(

Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2