View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Least Favorite Supporting Characters 
Admin

Post Least Favorite Supporting Characters
We've had the "Favorite Supporting Character" thread. So why not the other side of the coin?

One that comes instantly to my mind is Augustus Morris from Woodman's Drinkwater series. As a character, he was nasty to begin with and grew more evil as time went along.

Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:16 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:51 am
Profile YIM

Post Lord Sillitoe
Mary, you knew you were going to get a comment or two on picking Herrick, didn’t you?

Susan picked a truly bad person in Morris and he is high on my list too. IMO Herrick is a person trying to do right with a flawed personality. I recently re-read the entire series and paid particular attention to Thomas since a debate was raging on the Bolitho Group. There were books in the series where I truly disliked Herrick for his "holier-than-everybody-else" attitude but others where I really admired him. The series would have been less interesting without him. Therefore, flaws and all, he is far from my least favorite character.

I nominate Lord Sillitoe who never did anything good without an ultimately evil goal.

Don

Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:31 pm
Commander

Foolishly admired by many other characters, he began as a likeable, even sympathetic figure, who emerged by Relentless Pursuit as a selfish, spoiled brat who thought less of his friends and more of his status in the world and believed whatever he did was beyond question.
I kept waiting for his redemption, but it never occured.
Charity

Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:04 pm
Admin

If we're talking about the Bolitho series, I would say Felicity Vincent (née Bolitho). She's pretty nasty. Miles is too. Maybe she'll be back in the next book to cause more grief.

Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:27 pm
Profile YIM
Commander

Hornblower's inner monologue, complete with self-centered fears of what others think of him. :wink:

Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:49 am
Admin

Hornblower's inner monologue, complete with self-centered fears of what others think of him. :wink:

Shhh...don't let uHf hear you.

More thoughts on Felicity. I can imagine a situation where she would try to control Elizabeth and use her in some plot.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:56 am
Profile YIM

More thoughts on Felicity. I can imagine a situation where she would try to control Elizabeth and use her in some plot.

Great idea, Susan. I can also see such a story line. Fortunately Adam is not at all awed by his aunt. If I remember correctly, once while walking along, Felicity rode by and made an unkind remark. Adam rammed in a cutting remark about how he would treat Miles if Miles had been assigned to Adam's ship. Felicity scampered off quickly.

Speaking of Elizabeth: This character has the potential for great good or great evil. Aunt Nancy should be able to bring Elizabeth to the good side, but as you say, maybe aunt Felicity could appeal to the Belinda part of Elizabeth's soul. Then we had all better watch out!

Don

Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:43 pm
Commander

Fortunately for all of us, Elizabeth remains a relatively minor Bolitho character and we, with luck, will not see the "Anakin-ation" of her into either pure evil (Darth) or pure good (Luke).
The one thing that has endeared Adam to me is his absolute human frailties, his willingness to hate himself for indulging in his own selfish desires without forethought of the consequences. Richard was also this way, but rarely showed remorse for seizing the day with whatever woman had raised his interest to carnal proportions.
Maybe this is becoming a separate thread of its own: the Bolitho Carnal Knowledge as virtue thread. :lol:
Charity

Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:50 am
Admin

Maybe this is becoming a separate thread of its own: the Bolitho Carnal Knowledge as virtue thread. :lol:

Ask and you shall receive...sort of. LOL!

Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:25 am
Profile YIM
Midshipman

HMS Charity wrote:

:lol:

So misunderstood, my Horry... ;)

-uHf

~Commodore Hornblower

Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:20 am
Profile WWW
Admin

Fortunately for all of us, Elizabeth remains a relatively minor Bolitho character and we, with luck, will not see the "Anakin-ation" of her into either pure evil (Darth) or pure good (Luke).

You never know. An interesting twist would be to have Elizabeth marry Adam. I know there's an age difference and that they are cousins, however that didn't seem to be a problem back then. But I digress...

Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:30 pm
Profile YIM
Commander

HMS Charity wrote:

You never know. An interesting twist would be to have Elizabeth marry Adam. I know there's an age difference and that they are cousins, however that didn't seem to be a problem back then. But I digress...
Shiivveerrr. Not only would that be creepy in today's age, but given the low sperm count Richard apparently suffered from and Adam must be bothered by, such a union would spell the end of the family. Not that seeing the "old grey house below Pendennis Castle" slip into the possession of Allday or Luke Jago would be a bad thing...

Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:17 pm
Admin

I found a new character to dislike. I'm reading V.A. Stuart's Hazard of Huntress at the moment. The First Lieutenant of Huntress, Ambrose Quinn, is not a nice fellow (so far). I hope he doesn't turn out to be another Morris.

Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:52 pm
Profile YIM
Lieutenant

susan wrote:
HMS Charity wrote:

:lol:

So misunderstood, my Horry... ;)

-uHf

Look, that was what made Horatio great.

Right after Horatio Hornblower became popular (buoyed by the patronage of many self-doubting, returning WWII real heroes) the adult western comes into being. Coincidence? I think not.

C.S.Forester wrote rings around most of these other hacks. My favorites are outside of HH. Rifleman Dodd, The Gun, and Brown on Desolation. His short story, "An Egg for the Major," wasn't bad either.

You are judging from a time where self-doubting heroes are so common they make us uncomfortable rather than thrilled by the novelty.

Before Hornblower all fiction sea captains were all Errol Flynn swashbucklers who made the feminine aristocracy swoon.

"What happens we have got
the Maxim gun, and they have not."
-Hillaire Belloc

Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:54 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]