View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Mystery/Secret Agent Sub-Genre 

Post "Despatch from Cadiz" by Weiser
Bruce Weiser's books

It appears that the first book (The French Imposter) and the second (Dispatch from Cadiz) share only two things -- a romance novel cover and the main characters. I liked the first one, but the second is shockingly better. The first sets the background for the character relationships and the background for the Trafalgar battle. The second is the battle and the storm aftermath.

There is only one scene in the first set aboard ship (Nelson's cabin on HMS Victory), the second is nearly completely at sea. Chenevix finds himself on Villeneuve's flagship watching his own English countrymen attack Villeneuve. The description of the battle is superb. Unlike the first, there is not one salacious moment in Dispatch. Both these books should have been combined into one novel as they are really one story.

BTW -- One chapter is a fantasy when Chenevix is knocked loopy during the battle. He dreams what would have happened had Nelson lost. During this fantasy, the author paints a very realistic picture of Napoleon invading England successfully (George III escapes to Canada) and, after securing the seas, completing his land offensives.

I still cannot understand why this author did not write additional books, His understanding of AoS sailing is exceptional. These two books are worth the effort to locate.

Don

Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:24 pm

Post Bruce Weiser
Bruce Weiser
If someone can offer help finding out more about this author, I would appreciate it. As a clue, the first book is copyrighted 1980 by Bruce Weiser but the second is copyrighted by Charles B. Weiser in 1981. I wonder if Charles B. is the same person or his son?
Don

June 14 update: I contacted the publishers of these books via email. Leasure Books publishes primarily Romance Novels (which explains the covers) and, over the last 25 years, have seemingly lost all information about Weiser and his books. Since the company went into business in 1979, he must have been one of their first authors. A shame, Don

Last edited by timoneer on Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:37 am
Admin

Post Re: "Despatch from Cadiz" by Weiser
timoneer wrote:
BTW -- One chapter is a fantasy when Chenevix is knocked loopy during the battle. He dreams what would have happened had Nelson lost. During this fantasy, the author paints a very realistic picture of Napoleon invading England successfully (George III escapes to Canada) and, after securing the seas, completing his land offensives.

Sounds interesting. When I have more funds in the bank, I will have to track down the second book.

Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:22 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

Another book to add to the list is Killigrew and the Sea Devil, the latest book in the Killigrew series by Jonathan Lunn. It's fast-paced and full of intrigue. I have a little less than 100 pages to go and, needless to say, I am anxious to find out what happens.

Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:46 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

I'm currently reading (when my work allows) Anthony Forrest's The Pandora Secret. Like Killigrew and the Sea Devil, the story revolves around a "plunging boat" (in this case, it is one developed by Robert Fulton), intended for use as a secret weapon.

Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:58 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

Has anyone read Joan Druett's Wiki Coffin series (murder mystery)? I just found out about it and it interests me because of the US Ex Ex connection. Any good?

Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:20 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Has anyone read Joan Druett's Wiki Coffin series (murder mystery)? I just found out about it and it interests me because of the US Ex Ex connection. Any good?

... I haven't yet, but found Shark Island in my library today, which, needless to say, I brought home. :lol:

Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:06 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

susan wrote:

... I haven't yet, but found Shark Island in my library today, which, needless to say, I brought home. :lol:

...I posted my comments in the book's own thread.

Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:38 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2