View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Fiction - new additions to personal libraries 
Admin

Post Fiction - new additions to personal libraries
In a local charity shop today, I came across Men o' War, edited by Mike Ashley, which is a collection of short stories by our favourite authors, but additionally, there are several of which I haven't heard, i.e. Finlayson, Butler, Jackson, Frizell, Cutcliffe Hyne, Hudson, Scott, Garratt, Atkinson,Wood and Williams.

I did check your author's list on SN, Susie, :lol: and see that some are mentioned there.

Incidentally I do want to mention one I am currently reading from the library which does have a tiny mention of Nelson in it , and is set in "our" era, so I'm recommending it here as a good read IMO. It is Andrew Taylor's The American Boy, which ties up with Edgar Allan Poe.

Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:37 pm
Profile YIM
Commander

I haven't added anything tremendously different to the fiction shelves, although I'm waiting for the delivery of Pursuit of Honor any day now. I anticipate it being an improvement upon Joe's first effort, the promising Falcon's Revenge as second novels are usually better crafted than the first.
Charity

Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:40 am
Commander

It's not exactly new, but I did add Hornblower During the Crisis to my shelf in the last two weeks. Picked up a used copy for $2.95 at a local book store.
Also considered adding an original Commodore Hornblower, complete with torn dust cover, but decided the $20 tag was a little more than warranted given the need to buy diapers and formula.
Charity
(ever the bargain hunter)

Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:49 am
Admin

I need to get H and the Crisis at some point.

In terms of bargains, have you tried eBay, Charity? I often see Hornblower stuff up for auction.

Courtesy of a very kind friend, I now have a copy of Jonathan Lunn's Killigrew and the Sea Devil. Joy! :D

Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:07 am
Profile YIM
Commander

I have checked into ebay from time to time, but do not spend enough time haunting the site, I suppose.
In part that is due to a slow connection at home and a preocuppation with other sites when I have access to high speed.

Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:13 am
Admin

eBay has a feature that you can use to have emails sent to you when an item you are interested is listed so you don't have to keep scanning the lists all the time. It's quite handy.

Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:46 am
Profile YIM
Admin

I recently acquired a book titled The Sentinels by Peter Carter. It's a novel about the Royal Navy anti-slavery patrols around 1840.

Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:48 pm
Profile YIM
Commander

I recently acquired a book titled The Sentinels by Peter Carter. It's a novel about the Royal Navy anti-slavery patrols around 1840.

Sounds intriguing. I trust you'll give us an overview at some point. :D

Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:05 am
Admin

Sounds intriguing. I trust you'll give us an overview at some point. :D

I will when I get around to reading it. :? If you are interested in the Royal Navy's fight against slavers, another book to read is Killigrew R.N. by Jonathan Lunn.

I forgot to mention that I also got a hold of a copy of Frederick Chamier's Ben Brace. It's a 1839 German edition. I'm going to have fun working my way through that.
:lol:

Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:39 am
Profile YIM
Admin

.....which gives me the perfect opportunitity to mention one of my town's famous sons, John Clarkson, not so well known as his elder brother, Thomas, but worthy of distinction himself.

Dan and Susan recommended a book about him which I have yet to lay hands on:

Wilson, Ellen Gibson. 1980. John Clarkson and the African Adventure.

....and, yes, Susan, I agree that Killigrew, RN, is one to read on the issue of anti-slave patrols!

Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:15 am
Profile YIM
Commander

Decided to provide an update on my shelves.
Nothing new to add, although I can advise you to pick up Pursuit of Honor if you can find it used. The story was promising but petered out as though the author was hurried to finish and the final few pages are clearly intended to drag the reader into the next book. Numerous mistakes in spelling or word choice (precede vs. proceed type things) detracted from the finished product as well.

Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:33 am
Admin

Numerous mistakes in spelling or word choice (precede vs. proceed type things) detracted from the finished product as well.

That's too bad. No/poor editing and proofreading can sink a book, no matter how interesting the story is. If people are paying good money for something, they expect a product that adheres to professional standards.

Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:56 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

Just received a copy of Marmaduke Merry: The Midshipman, or My Early Days at Sea by William H.G. Kingston.

I need more free time to read!

Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:09 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]