View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Alaric Bond: "Cut and Run" 

Post Alaric Bond: "Cut and Run"
NO SPOILERS

"Cut and Run" by Alaric Bond

I just finished this novel which is the fourth in the author's Fighting Sail series. Once again the story centers around RN officer Thomas King. His two friends, Robert Manning and Kate Black Manning (from previous books), join the reader's voyage. An old enemy re-appears to stir the plot as well as a unique old shipmate and some interesting new characters.

One of those new characters takes Lord St Vincent to task. Not an easy thing to work into a novel and make it sound believable. In addition, the captain in this book does something that I have never read in an AoS novel or for that matter any novel. I have read of such things in newspapers but...

There was plenty of sea action but plenty of human interest too. I'm looking forward to the next one.

One of the things that I truly enjoyed was the dedicated glossary at the end. The author has gone out of his way to make the glossary words reflect the words in the novel rather than just add a generic glossary that fails to help the reader. Since the author is British, he can easily add period naval terms and know that his readers can easily look up the words that are not explained within the text itself. That made reading this a real joy.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:23 am
Admin

Post Re: Alaric Bond: "Cut and Run"
I quite agree with your comments, Don. IMO, it's Jim's best yet. Here are some additional comments to complement yours.

This book is a slight diversion in that it embraces the Honourable East Endia Company and the plight of the naval officer consigned "to the beach".

We meet some familiar faces and one devious one from the past who causes some unpleasant moments, but I did enjoy his comeuppance. :) We are introduced to new characters, some of whom I hope will feature in further books.

There are many twists and turns and incidents in the story which give the author the opportunity to illustrate his vast knowledge of his subject. The story is gripping and compulsive reading right up the last pages.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:53 am
Profile YIM
Lieutenant

Thanks for the kind words, chaps; I'm so glad you enjoyed Cut and Run.

On a sad note, I have just this morning learnt of the sudden death of Tom Grundner. Besides being an accomplished writer (The Sydney Smith Series, et al), Tom was senior editor and head man at my publishers, Fireship Press; a house that has done a great deal to boost the popularity of historical nautical fiction and non-fiction. He was also my friend, although we had never met or even spoken.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:00 am
Profile WWW
Admin

Badger wrote:
Thanks for the kind words, chaps; I'm so glad you enjoyed Cut and Run.

On a sad note, I have just this morning learnt of the sudden death of Tom Grundner. Besides being an accomplished writer (The Sydney Smith Series, et al), Tom was senior editor and head man at my publishers, Fireship Press; a house that has done a great deal to boost the popularity of historical nautical fiction and non-fiction. He was also my friend, although we had never met or even spoken.

I am sorry to hear of Tom's passing. I have enjoyed the couple of books of his that I have read.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:31 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]