View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Seth Hunter: The Price of Glory 

Post Seth Hunter: The Price of Glory
"The Price of Glory" by Seth Hunter is the third in the Nathan Peake series. It begins in 1795 with the British landing at Quiberon to aid in the Royalist revolt in Brittany. Later, Captain Peake is sent undercover to France and has some interesting encounters with Napoleon. Interesting and more surprising than most other authors' fictional accounts with Napoleon. Hunter seems to have a real understanding of the significant characters in Revolutionary France.

Later Peake and his frigate join Horatio Nelson. Throw in some treasure hunting and Peake's search for his lost love and this novel is quite complex.

One favorite scene was at Peake's breakfast table. An Italian guest is subjected to different methods of preparing rats and the taste differences between the various types of weevils. Myself, and two young midshipmen, were howling while the guest lost his appetite!

An enjoyable tale, well written, with an excellent historical note at the end. My only fault was a personal one -- I dislike cliff hanger endings. Maybe the author did not intend it to be a cliff hanger, but I took it to be one.

Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]