View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Nelson & Donachie 
Admin

Post Nelson & Donachie
I know people have varying opinions about Nelson – good and bad - but I've aways enjoyed reading about him, and am currently reading David Donachie’s second volume "Breaking the line" which follows on from "On a making tide".

I'mvery much enjoying the second, as I did the first. Has or is anyone else reading them? Also, is anyone interested in discussing Nelson or any other officer on another section of the forum?

Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:57 am
Profile YIM
Post Re: Nelson & Donachie
Mil Goose wrote:
I know people have varying opinions about Nelson – good and bad - but I've aways enjoyed reading about him, and am currently reading David Donachie’s second volume "Breaking the line" which follows on from "On a making tide".

I haven't read these books yet. I am curious as to what sort of light Donachie presents Nelson in. Does he overlook Nelson's faults or does he give a balanced view, warts and all? I am also interested to see how he portrays Frances Nelson.

Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:02 pm
Admin

Without spoiling, and I don't mind admitting to be a Nelson supporter to some degree, I think Donachie paints two sides to Nelson's characters ...... the enviable one, and the not-so-enviable.

Fanny, or Frances, is portrayed well, IMO ..... a dutiful wife and tolerant to the point where I have got up to in Volume 2. Whether she changes or not is another matter :wink: ..... I'll let you know in due course.

Sat Oct 11, 2003 11:29 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Fanny, or Frances, is portrayed well, IMO ..... a dutiful wife and tolerant to the point where I have got up to in Volume 2.

I've always felt sympathy for Fanny. I know people have argued that she was cold and couldn't/wouldn't understand Nelson. Personally, I think those judgments are rather harsh.

Being married to a hero—someone so much in the public eye—must have been difficult. Of course, there were perks that came with that, so it wasn't all bad. Still...I do feel for her.

Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:01 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Post Donachie & Nelson
I've just finished the second of the pair, "Breaking the line". It had to wait while I read the latest Stockwin borrowed from the library, and reading other stuff in between.

I think anyone could feel sympathy for Fanny...... she doesn't come over to her detriment in these pair of novels. IMO, Donachie portrays her a a woman simply and regrettably put aside because Nelson came under the spell of another, and hopelessly in love. I suppose, regrettably, that this happens only too often in marriages.

I think Donachie portrays a balanced picture of Nelson, and I recommend them as a good read of the genre whether you are a supporter of Nelson or not. It's not all about his love life; there's a lot more to the story of Nelson, as Donachie writes it..... the details of his battles and tactics, for example, are very readable.

Regards
- Mil -

Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:37 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]