View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 David Donachie: Blown Off Course 

Post David Donachie: Blown Off Course
NO Spoilers in this section

"Blown Off Course" is the seventh in David Donachie's John Pearce series. I have also read other books by Donachie including the Harry Ludlow and Nelson novels. As always, Donachie offers a well written, well researched, and enjoyable experience. I have grown attached to Pearce and his fellow "Pelicans".

SPOILERS BELOW

While I like this series enormously, I think it is past time for Donachie to resolve the main element. I mentioned this in my comments for the fifth book and frankly, I thought the main conflict would be resolved now. In case you do not know, in the first book, Pearce and five other men were illegally impressed and Pearce has spent six additional books trying to free the group.

There could only be two resolutions: 1. They all go free (highly unlikely) or 2. They realize that the RN is their rightful place (the reader can easily see the signs)

I can visualize that Lt. Pearce will reach a rank and position where his four remaining friends can be part of his crew. And then... they can have additional naval adventures, i.e. the series does not have to end.

Very little of this particular book was at sea. Mostly, it was trying to get protections for his men, and earn enough money for Pearce to support a wife and to set up his fellow Pelicans in some station ashore.

The only thing resolved in this novel was that Pearce and Emily finally professed their love. Another element a long time coming.

Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]