View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Alaric Bond: "True Colours" 
Admin

Post Alaric Bond: "True Colours"
I have enjoyed all of Jim's books, but, IMO, this one is the most ambitious. I've always thought he has a knack for bringing his characters alive and this latest book is no exception. It was a pleasure to meet old and new characters, and in the unfolding story see where there is the possibility for more scope for some of them.

The story takes us from the mutinies of 1797 and meets its climax at Camperdown. I haven't read too much about Duncan and de Winter and it made a change from many recent novels of the genre which have involved action in the Med, to sail into some North Sea activity.

I won't say too much more for fear of spoiling but there is some interesting inter-action among the characters, including the frigate's captain and Sailing Master.

Great story, Jim!

Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:55 pm
Profile YIM
Lieutenant

Post Re: Alaric Bond: "True Colours"
Thanks, Mary!

Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:15 am
Profile WWW

I must add my congratulations to those of Mary. A rousing story with loads of good subplots that continue to flesh out the characters. The battle scene was skillfully done. I didn't realize that I had been brought aboard the Pandora by the author until Lt. King was swept overboard. I immediately felt a deep sadness and a bit of anger.

Mary mentioned the interplay between the Master and the Captain which had a nice surprise at the end. I particularly liked the connection between the new acting Purser and the recently warranted Surgeon's Mate. Not your usual AoS element, but captivating.

The Author’s Note at the end was very informative.

A tip of my hat to Mr. Badger! Another book soon please.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:17 am
Lieutenant

Thanks for the kind words, Timoneer!

Book four is certainly in hand, and features many previous characters from the series. This one is set in an HEIC ship; something that has opened up a whole new area of research and interest for me. I hope to be delivering in April.

Jim

Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:51 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]