View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Alaric Bond: His Majesty's Ship 
Admin

Post Alaric Bond: His Majesty's Ship

NO SPOILERS

His Majesty's Ship

I must say that I enjoyed Jim's second book very much featuring a different vessel, HMS Vigilant, a 64, along with a new crew. As with his previous book, The Jackass Frigate, Jim encompasses the crew of the ship from lower deck to the great cabin, which makes interesting reading, as I believe Jim has great literary skills in bringing his characters alive. Being a larger ship, I made my usual list of characters, but found I didn't really need it.

On what would seem some ordinary, mundane convoy work Vigilant sets out on an adventure which is far from what you would think it would be. I won't say any more except that the tale concludes with some very lively action.

I mourned the loss of some of the characters, and delighted in the comeuppance of others.

An excellent book, Jim, and I look forward to reading more and seeing which of the characters goes on to appear in your next book. I only spotted one from Jackass.

Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:31 am
Profile YIM
Lieutenant

Post Re: Alaric Bond: His Majesty's Ship
I've been asked to clarify the reading order for my “Fighting Sail” series.

His Majesty's Ship is the first book, the sequel being The Jackass Frigate. Number three, True Colours, came out at the end of April (and number four is currently in the planning stage).

Further information is available on my website: http://www.alaricbond.com

I'm sorry for any confusion!

Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:00 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Alaric Bond: His Majesty's Ship
I just finished this book and found it to be excellent. What I enjoyed the most was that that the focus was spread evenly over a number of very well drawn and interesting characters that included a particular seven sailor "mess" that ranged from a new ship’s boy to experienced gun captain.

Events viewed concurrently through officer's as well as crew's eyes seemed to add color to the canvas. I normally keep a written list of characters (with a few cryptic notes) as I read and this came in very handy. The author seems to have done his homework as a number of AoS details appear as the story progresses.

I particularly enjoyed the "just deserts" experienced by several of the less savory characters. :D

Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]