View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Seth Hunter: The Time of Terror 
Admin

Post Seth Hunter: The Time of Terror
Has anyone read this book? Any good?

Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:20 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

I'd never heard of it, but thanks for the information, and I note with pleasure that there is a copy in my local branch of Cambs Libraries. :)

Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:24 am
Profile YIM
Admin

I can't say I really enjoyed this book. I persevered for 75% of it reading it diligently and scanned the remainder so that I kept the gist of it, and its conclusion.

It cleverly weaved fiction with real life characters such as Robespierre, Danton, Gilbert Imlay along with Chatham and brother William Pitt, Thomas Paine and Mary Wollstonecroft. The front cover blurb indicated: "...a British naval officer battles the French fleet as blood flows in Paris..." and, IMO, there was perhaps rather too much intrigue and the bloody Terror than the battling of the French fleet.

However, as I said I kept the gist of it and have reserved a copy of Hunter's next book in the series to see what Nathan Peake gets up to next.

I'd be interested in hearing what other members' thoughts are, who, probably, appreciate more the intrigue of the time than I did.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:43 am
Profile YIM

Post Re:
Mil Goose wrote:
I can't say I really enjoyed this book... there was perhaps rather too much intrigue and the bloody Terror than the battling of the French fleet... I'd be interested in hearing what other members' thoughts are, who, probably, appreciate more the intrigue of the time than I did.

I probably liked this novel a bit more than Mary but all the details and personalities of the French revolutionaries did get a bit tedious at times. It is not a subject that I enjoyed such a close focus on. However, the book was well written and had some interesting twists and turns in the plot. It appears to be well researched too, with... some truly well drawn maps (always a favorite of mine).

The character of Nathaniel Peake had many interesting attributes, and a diverse family, including one ancestor who was a "witch" in Salem, Massachusetts.

It is not completely devoid of naval adventures since Nathan Peake makes four trips to France, taking the opportunity to capture a French frigate, survive a major storm, and join Admiral Lord Howe on his flagship during the Glorious First of June battle.

I liked the History section at the end of the book discussing the real facts and the ones the author adapted for his work. As a note: Seth Hunter is the pseudonym for British writer and film maker Paul Bryers.

Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]