View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 1:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Tom Bowling: The Antigallican 
Admin

Post Tom Bowling: The Antigallican
I received a copy of this book from a kind friend. Has anyone else read it?

A while ago, I started a thread about books from the French POV. The interesting thing about this book is that most of the story takes place on board a French frigate, Hortense. That was a nice change.

Fans of d'Auvergne will be pleased to know he shows up during the course of the story. It looks like he will probably play a part in the next book as well.

As usual, there are some minor details I had problems with. I think it could have used one more round of editing to tighten a few loose bits. For example, part of the first paragraph of the first chapter reads:

"The sea was calm. There were no waves. The Gulf Stream's swell met the cold northern water and caused the great ocean to rise and fall as a body, as if it were breathing. But that was the only movement."

I think "The sea was calm. There were no waves." could have been cut out.

I don't know very much about the French navy, so I can't comment on how accurate the details are.

Another minor detail that bugged me... the author had a British frigate using heated shot. From the discussion about heated shot on this forum (Heated Shot Aboard Ship), it seems it would have been unlikely.

Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:20 am
Profile YIM
Admin

I enjoyed this book, and warn that my further comments may constitute

...... POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!!

>

>

>

>

>
I, too, liked mention of d'Auvergne who seems to be enjoying some publicity in this book, and Stockwin's latest. :)

Although the intrigue and mystery genre does not always grab me - depends what it is - I did like the underlying mystery about the French captain, Dubarre.

I consider the book was well-written, the characterisation was good and the author's desciptions brought those characters to life. I thought the the explanation of terms in French was useful, and it was interesting, as you say, to have something written from the French perspective.

I was delighted that the main character is intended to appear again in subsequent novels.

Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:58 pm
Profile YIM
Commander

The Antigallican (apart from its literal meaning), IIRC, was a contemporary newspaper published in London. Tom Bowling was a Dibden character (?)

Does anyone know the identity of the author of this book?

Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:44 pm

Post Re: Tom Bowling: The Antigallican
I have to echo the comments above. An interesting and atypical story, well written.

When I first picked up this book I supposed that "Antigallican" might be the name of a ship. However, it means "anti-French", a term applied to the Jersey born hero of the book, Jean Cotterell.

I could not find out anything about the author but the second in the Cotterell series (titled "A Ship Aground") is due to be published on 2 August, 2011 (Amazon).

Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:58 am
Commander

Post Re: Tom Bowling: The Antigallican
He seems to have written the following non-fiction books:

Pirates and Privateers (2008)
A Brief History of Pirates and Buccaneers (2010)

From the web:
"Tom Bowling is a Londoner born into a seafaring family in the Neckinger, a part of Bermondsey allegedly named after the Devil's Neckinger or noose worn by pirates executed there.

He is writing a series of novels about Jean Cotterrel, set at the end of the 18th century at sea, in Britain, in the Channel Islands and in Revolutionary France".

Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]