View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Thomas Herrick (Alexander Kent) 
Commander

Thinking about this stuff has reminded me of one bit that made me sad (I forget what book it was in...was it Signal–Close Action!?). It was when Bolitho finds out that Herrick's sister is crippled. When I read that, I thought to myself, "You claim to be his 'friend' and you didn't know?" As a friend, didn't Bolitho ever think to ask Herrick about his family or was he always too wrapped up in himself?[/size]
Actually I believe it was at the start of Form Line of Battle, when Bolitho joins the Hyperion and recalls having gone looking for Herrick, I suppose with hopes of taking him with him to an already fully-officered ship. :?

Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:29 am
Admin

Was it? I remember one of the lieutenants acting strange (can't remember his name at the moment) and then Bolitho's flag lieutenant (?) or someone telling him about Herrick's sister. The lieutenant who was acting strange wanted to marry Herrick's sister.

Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:51 am
Profile YIM
Commander

I had forgotten about that tidbit. It may well be in Signal-Close Action! and if not it is surely in The Inshore Squadron, when Bolitho was a rear admiral and the flag lieutenant would have been Oliver Browne, an excellent character killed off for little reason, in my opinion.
I have been paying particular attention to the relationship between Bolitho and Herrick in SCA, as there is a passage early on in which Bolitho questions Herrick's ability to command, to wit:
Quote:
Herrick was a man who would obey any lawful order without question, with no consideration for his own life or ruin. But to assume control of the squadron if its commodore should die in battle?

Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:47 am

Herrick's crippled sister Nancy married Lt. George Gilchrist in "Tradition of Victory." The incident being discussed, did indeed, take place in "Signal Close Action." An excellent reference is theBolitho Series Concordance at Hornpipermarks website. There is a minor error here and there but it is a wonderful way to double-check basic facts.
Don

Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:25 am
Commander

Thanks for the link.
As I indicated, I'm reading this time with particular attention to the Herrick-Bolitho relationship. And I hit the passage where Bolitho learns of Gilchrist's intent to wed Ms. Herrick. A marine tells Bolitho about it, while Bolitho is aware of her crippled condition. He is also rather uncharitable by wondering who would want to marry a cripple, and he is puzzled that Herrick did not tell him and that he did not give Herrick a chance to tell him, because he was too wrapped up in his problems/sex life.

Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:44 am
Admin

So...any speculation as to the future of Herrick? There seems to be something developing with Nancy. However, will Reeman let Herrick be and allow him to have a happy life after going through so much? Or will he * a second chance away from him like he did with Tyacke and his former love?

Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:51 am
Profile YIM
Commander

For some unbeknownst reason, nothing I can put a firm finger upon, I believe Herrick will take over the stewardship of the Bolitho estate but be denied the romantic link with Nancy that we've seen hinted at in Man of War. It's just a feeling I have, perhaps in part because Herrick seems a man who has a difficult time admitting to himself that he could love a woman other than Dulcie.
He might see a liason with Nancy as a betrayal of his feelings for Dulcie, and I sense that young Elizabeth would interfere with any attempt at romance Nancy made.
So the short answer is, yes and no, but it's just a feeling I have.
Maybe it's because nothing is ever easy for Herrick.

Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:45 am
Admin

For some unbeknownst reason, nothing I can put a firm finger upon, I believe Herrick will take over the stewardship of the Bolitho estate

Someone, please refresh my memory. Did Adam make peace with Herrick at some point? I can't remember. If not, Adam might not be too happy to have Herrick around.

Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:04 am
Profile YIM
Commander

Adam never had the issues with Herrick that Keen had. Adam even honors Herrick by hoisting his flag over Unrivalled when Thomas visits in Freetown, perhaps the last time Herrick's flag flies over any ship.
I wasn't aware of a rift between Adam and Herrick, though I do wonder about his willingness to have Herrick looking after the home fires when he is at sea. At the same time, Adam worships his Aunt Nancy and would, I believe, follow her guidance in the matter of Herrick serving as steward.
That is, of course, my humble opinion.
Charity

Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:12 am
Admin

Another question...who has control of the estate now? Is it Adam, Nancy or Elizabeth? Who is Bolitho's legal heir?

Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:12 am
Profile YIM
Admin

I wasn't aware of a rift between Adam and Herrick

It certainly wasn't as bitter a rift as the one between Herrick and Keen. However, I seem to remember Adam making a speech along the lines of, "You taught me a lot of things while I was on your ship and I honored and admired you but no longer because of how you are behaving towards my uncle."

However, my memory is poor and there is the distinct possibility I could be imagining this. LOL!

Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:16 am
Profile YIM
Commander

Technically, I believe Adam has control of the estate because Richard made him heir to the estate before Elizabeth was born and I do not recall reading of any change in that regard. Elizabeth would, of course, be a rich young woman through inheritance of much of Richard's wealth through prize money, but the estate would pass on to the male heir, I believe. Richard made a big deal about how it should have been Adam's by birth-right, anyway. Makes you wonder what happened to any uncles or great uncles Richard would theoretically have had. Can't imagine his generation was the only one to produce more than one son, unless the Bolitho's are notoriously in capable of producing viable sperm. (which is possible, given Richard's and Adam's proclivity with the opposite sex and the low number of children produced :twisted: :wink: )
Charity

Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:22 am
Admin

Can't imagine his generation was the only one to produce more than one son, unless the Bolitho's are notoriously in capable of producing viable sperm. (which is possible, given Richard's and Adam's proclivity with the opposite sex and the low number of children produced :twisted: :wink: )

LOL!

I think all of the women he was with are dead as well?

Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:18 am
Profile YIM
Commander

HMS Charity wrote:
Can't imagine his generation was the only one to produce more than one son, unless the Bolitho's are notoriously in capable of producing viable sperm. (which is possible, given Richard's and Adam's proclivity with the opposite sex and the low number of children produced :twisted: :wink: )

LOL!

I think all of the women he was with are dead as well?

They do seem to have a penchant for dying shortly after receiving the Bolitho-touch. Sort of like promising young midshipmen on the quarterdeck and the first three admirals Bolitho serves as Flag Captain.
Nonetheless, I believe Herrick would have made an excellent, if somewhat over-qualified, steward for the Bolitho estate. What's more, Adam might trust him more in that capacity because of what happened between Herrick and Richard, seeing the position as being Herrick's act of atonement (where none is needed IMHO).
Charity

Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:40 pm
Admin

This has nothing to do with Herrick, but one thing I was waiting for was the Adam-Zenoria bombshell to drop on Keen. I wonder how the dynamics of the story would have changed if Keen found out what had happened between them?

Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:45 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next