View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Thomas Herrick (Alexander Kent) 
Admin

They do seem to have a penchant for dying shortly after receiving the Bolitho-touch. Sort of like promising young midshipmen on the quarterdeck and the first three admirals Bolitho serves as Flag Captain.

Don't forget Bolitho's flag lieutenants (with the exception of Adam of course)...the Red Shirts of the Bolitho Universe.

Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:13 pm
Profile YIM
Commander

This has nothing to do with Herrick, but one thing I was waiting for was the Adam-Zenoria bombshell to drop on Keen. I wonder how the dynamics of the story would have changed if Keen found out what had happened between them?

I'm afraid such a development would have been/would still be rather soap-operish, though it might also drive Keen into the muddy bottom of the Thames out of despair. However, I doubt that, since he seems to be experiencing a greater love with his current wife than he ever felt for Zenoria.
Charity

Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:54 am
Admin

I'm afraid such a development would have been/would still be rather soap-operish, though it might also drive Keen into the muddy bottom of the Thames out of despair.

Yes, but unfortunately the books have been going that way. Keen doesn't seem the suicidal type. I think he'd probably challenge Adam to a duel or perhaps send him in a really old, leaky ship to Cape Horn or something. More of a subtle way to get rid of someone. :?

Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:41 pm
Profile YIM
Commander

HMS Charity wrote:
I'm afraid such a development would have been/would still be rather soap-operish, though it might also drive Keen into the muddy bottom of the Thames out of despair.

Yes, but unfortunately the books have been going that way. Keen doesn't seem the suicidal type. I think he'd probably challenge Adam to a duel or perhaps send him in a really old, leaky ship to Cape Horn or something. More of a subtle way to get rid of someone. :?
Isn't that in essence what Keen did to Herrick? Vindictive little cuss, isn't he.
And honestly, it would be interesting to see Kent put Adam in a leaky, old, ship that was not well-founded. Could Adam manage such a vessel and still find distinction?

Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:32 am
Commander

Another thread on the boards brought up a point that was raised regarding Herrick and his "rapid rise" to flag rank.

Prince William was made post at the age of 21 and promoted to Rear admiral at the age of 25. Now influence played a distinct part in that promotion, but given other considerations of the lines of promotion (by seniority) this would have meant a leap over several hundred officers on the captain's list, including Nelson and Collingwood.

All this does is make a case that influence of some sort played a big part in Herrick's rise past the rank of captain.

Charity

Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4