View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 View posts since last visit 

Post View posts since last visit
I'm sure that everyone has noticed that after clicking on "View posts since last visit" that the threads that show up might have more than one post since your last visit. This is certainly normal, especially for a very active topic.

I have also noticed, by accident, that sometimes I might not be notified of a recent post at all. I only find these when I go back to an old thread to get some information, title of a book, etc. and see a post (the last one in the thread) that is new to me... but maybe days or weeks old. I've noticed this 4 or 5 times over the last year or so. I think I "might" have figured out what was happening. I "believe" that these lost messages, at least lost to me, were posts that were made while I was at the Forum, while composing a long post, for example. I always click on "View posts since last visit" when I first visit the Forum, but have never clicked on this just before I leave. It is possible that the posts occurring while I was on-line here might not show up when I returned to the Forum the next time.

I discussed this with Susan and she looked through the documentation for her software without finding any references to such an event. She also has had no one but me report this so it may only be my computer. My suspicion is that it is Forum software related, but that is a suspicion only.

If anyone else has noticed this, please report it. I would hate to think I'm just imagining this! :D

In the future, I intend on clicking on "View posts since last visit" just before leaving the Forum for another website. Susan also suggests hitting the "refresh" button to see is any concurrent posts were made. She also checks the total posts (articles) when she logs-on and checks that number before exiting. It looks like any of these methods would work.

Since I am not 100% sure why this has happened to me, I just wanted to give everyone a heads-up on this topic.

At least once, the "lost" post was a question directed to me, and I was a bit tardy replying.

Don

Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]