View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Thomas Paine Kydd (Julian Stockwin) 
Admin

Post Thomas Paine Kydd (Julian Stockwin)
All right....how do you like this young man destined for great things?

Is he believable -or as Susan mentioned with Ramage - is Kydd too perfect?

Is his rise to the quarterdeck too "meteoric"? (as I refer to Herrick's rise to flag rank - a pet subject of mine ;) )

I have read all the books so far, so if you are well on in the series, please - if you comment on recent books - add "SPOILER" at the beginning. 'Tis no secret that Kydd will reach flag rank, but I wouldn't want to give the plot away to folks who have not a read a particular book.

Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:00 am
Profile YIM
Admin

In terms of his time on the lower deck, he's gotten off pretty easy (as far as I've read...I'm a bit behind).

Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:44 am
Profile YIM

I have read all Julian Stockwin's Kydd series to date and frankly, I am a big fan. Since I read POB first, Aubrey/Maturin will always occupy a special place in my AoS journey, but Kydd may be my favorite series. Reading POB is like reading the Bible - incredible images, characters, and epic in scope, but Kydd is also superbly written, with believable characters... and with a clear goal in mind, the pace is just right.

I remember reading early on, that Stockwin had 10 books planned to take Kydd from landsman to quarterdeck. The article gave the historical background for such happenings in the Royal Navy and the idea seemed very interesting to me. I like the idea that a definite end is planned. However, I wonder if the author can resist leaving such a character after the 10th book.

While Kydd goes from wigmaker though some interesting experiences to experienced sailor and beyond, Nicholas Renzi is the character that really interests me. Having a clouded past but obviously educated and enlightened for the time, Renzi draws me further and further into the series. I enjoy watching Renzi draw out Kydd's intellect and help mold Kydd's moral thinking.

I plan on re-reading the series just before "Tenacious" (sixth book) is released this Fall to enhance my enjoyment of Kydd's future adventures.

Don

Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:44 am
Admin

Post POSSIBLE SPOILER - "Mutiny"
POSSIBLE SPOILER - Mutiny
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Did anyone think that Stockwin wrote particularly well in handling Kydd's involvement in the Nore mutiny, but cleverly keeping him out of trouble in relation to his future career after such involvement?

Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:47 am
Profile YIM

Post Re: POSSIBLE SPOILER - "Mutiny"
Mil Goose wrote:
POSSIBLE SPOILER - Mutiny
>
>
>
>
>

Did anyone think that Stockwin wrote particularly well in handling Kydd's involvement in the Nore mutiny, but cleverly keeping him out of trouble in relation to his future career after such involvement?

Mary, I must have had a similar experience to yours while reading this book. IMO Stockwin did a terrific job of planting the seed of a potential career disaster in my mind. I was reading Kydd's experience at The Nore on two levels -- the Story.... and Kydd's Future. It was like reading a mystery novel for the enjoyment of the story as well as eliminating suspects one by one in another part of your mind to determine the murderer. Since I also like mysteries, this was a very enjoyable experience.

Thank Goodness for Kitty Malkin!

Don

Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]