View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Julian Stockwin: "Victory" 
Admin

Post Julian Stockwin: "Victory"
CONTAINS SOME SPOILERS!!

>
>
>
>
>
>

Anyone following the Kydd series will not be surprised to which "Victory" this title refers.

I have been quick to criticise the author for his attempts to portray Kydd's vernacular speech patterns through much use of apostrophes, but, thankfully, in this particular book, with the exception of one necessary passage, Kydd, having been made post, has upped his speech!

This particular book, IMO, is the best with the author beautifully displaying Kydd's delight at frigate command, the problems of impressment, sea trials, etc. among other more exciting events.

Of course, he meets Nelson and comes under his charisma, and Stockwin cleverly conveys events aboard the flagship through the eyes of a middy.

One particular passage wrote of use of the Diolkos rail-way which I found extremely interesting having seen the Hay inclined plane.

There is much more I could comment on and welcome other reader's comment in due course.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:59 pm
Profile YIM

Post Re: Julian Stockwin: "Victory"
Mil Goose wrote:
This particular book, IMO, is the best with the author beautifully displaying Kydd's delight at frigate command, the problems of impressment, sea trials, etc. among other more exciting events.

Possible SPOILERS

I agree with Mary. This is my favorite in Stockwin's Kydd series. Jammed packed with interesting details, some of which I had never seen described. Trafalgar freshly covered. With just a wee bit of personal drama to frame the naval actions. Of course, my favorite event was the long awaited promotion of Thomas Paine Kydd.

Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]