View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Julian Stockwin: Privateer's Revenge or Treachery 

Post Julian Stockwin: Privateer's Revenge or Treachery
"The Privateer's Revenge" (US) aka "Treachery" (UK) by Julian Stockwin

I must admit that this ninth novel in the Kydd adventures is, in my humble opinion, absolutely the finest story in the series. Stockwin has woven a tight but complex tale with a truly excellent ending and even that has a pleasing twist, especially since I love the mystery genre. The previous book left me depressed but this one had me cheering.

Kudos to Stockwin. Seek a copy in your local library, search out a friend's copy, or just head to the bookstore. If you already like Thomas Paine Kydd, you will really love this book.

The only minor fault I could find is that a map would have been greatly appreciated. Looking for maps of the Channel Islands was fairly easy but places (like Granville, L'Anse Pivette, and Les Heaux de Brehat, etc.) were not easy to find. I never found all of the places mentioned on any one map and some of the places... never. Stockwin must have an aversion to spending money on maps as this book is not the only one in this series that I have made this same comment. If you do not like reading Kydd's "sailor" dialect (as opposed to his more gentlemanly speech), don't be downhearted, it appears only briefly.

Only one plea to the author... please make Kydd a post captain soon. I know you want to expand this series from your original 10 books, but I think it's time. Really.

SPOILER'S BELOW (mild, I hope)

Still suffering from a personal tragedy, Commander Kydd is sent into a form of exile at Admiral James Saumarez's command on Guernsey Island. After being the target of a viscous plot to get him sent ashore, Kydd ends up, after many struggles, in a privateer. Renzi seeks employment on Jersey Island and joins Commodore Philippe d'Auvergne's staff to manage a covert operation against Napoleon.

Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:25 pm
Admin

Post Re: Julian Stockwin: Privateer's Revenge or Treachery
timoneer wrote:
"The Privateer's Revenge" (US) aka "Treachery" (UK) by Julian Stockwin

..... If you do not like reading Kydd's "sailor" dialect (as opposed to his more gentlemanly speech), don't be downhearted, it appears only briefly.

.... er, which "gentlemanly speech" would that be, I ask?!! :wink:

Don, and long-standing members of the forum, will know that the way JS writes Kydd's speech, annoys me intensely - I've made a post elsewhere on that issue. It really grates, and gets no better - even worse, when he takes up privateering, even to the extent, IMO, of he could fit in well with the pirates of the Caribbean.

I was interested to see JS featuring something we have talked about on this forum: Sales by candle

SPOILERS FOLLOW:
>
>
>
>
>
>

Anyhow, having yapped on about my pet hate of Kydd's speech, I have to say that I also thought it was a rattling good adventure, or series of adventures wrapped up in one. I can identify with the Guersey, having approached the Channel Islands by sea, on a cruise, and have toured old St Peter Port with a very expert lady guide, taking in all the old alleys, and steps leading up from the harbour.

I do think, however, that Renzi's rapidly developing relationship with D'Auvergne doesn't ring as true as it should. D'Auvergne, in his bio, is described as a "master spy", and I can't some that entrenched in subterfuge would employ Renzi as quickly as he did. Anyhow, other opinions on the subject are welcome, of course.

Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:57 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]