View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 New Kent Books 

Do you think Reeman thinks it's boring to write (as opposed to thinking readers wouldn't want to read it)?

That's a very interesting question. Maybe Reeman has another thing in mind too -- his age. If he were in his forties instead of his eighties, he might feel more like using his time to explore other possibilities in Richard's life, his predecessors, or his descendants.

As to why he continues to write about Adam, it may be just that as an author the decisions as to what/who he writes about have been successful in the past so he continues to follow what he knows to be successful. It's hard to fault his choices as he has been so successful over such a long period. If he had only written the Bolitho novels and never any of the WWII stuff, the Bolitho world might have been huge by now, but all his WWII fans would have missed the novels they like (and buy).

Don

Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:49 am
Admin

Maybe he doesn't care to revisit Richard because he's "moved on"?

On another subject..the synopsis says Adam will be "confronting old enemies." Any guesses as to who these enemies are?

I hope Reeman doesn't make Herrick an enemy and sacrifice him. :( Maybe Adam's icky cousin Miles Vincent will pop up looking for revenge.

Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:39 am
Profile YIM

... Adam will be "confronting old enemies." Any guesses as to who these enemies are? I hope Reeman doesn't make Herrick an enemy and sacrifice him. :(
Goodness forbid! I agree. However, I don't think that is likely since Thomas is now the Bolitho estate manager. Wasn't there a few hints that he was becoming close to Adam's Aunt Nancy (Roxby). I only wish Herrick "peace" and a dignified retirement.

susan wrote:
Maybe Adam's icky cousin Miles Vincent will pop up looking for revenge.
In my opinion, Miles is too weak to be a good villain. If he does show up, Adam should finish him off once and for all and deal with Aunt Felicity too. Foul people!

I suspect that the old enemies might be Richard's enemies who have carried over their hatred to Adam. They would be senior and powerful enough to be real threats. This will be interesting to see when the novel is published.

Don

Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:37 pm
Commander

HMS Charity wrote:
And I have e-mailed Reeman recently, inquiring about the likelihood of his writing an early midshipman book about Richard. His response was to the effect that he did not see that it would be interesting as Richard would be too junior to have any real responsibility (Though I'd argue that seeing Richard learn what responsibility is and how to handle it at a young age, even in a small way, would be interesting to the readers. I've often wondered how big of an influence his first captain was upon Richard, seeing as how he held Phalarope for him.)

That's a shame. I got the sense (from reading Basil Hall) that even though they were young, mids had a lot of responsibilities. Okay...maybe they weren't as glorious as those of commissioned officers. Still, that's how they developed the skills they would need later. I think it would be interesting to see Bolitho go through this development. Also, it would be interesting to see more of what his early relationship with Hugh and his father was like.

Do you think Reeman thinks it's boring to write (as opposed to thinking readers wouldn't want to read it)?

I wonder the same thing, and infering from the tone of his e-mail, which also offered me some credible encouragement on my own writing endeavours, I sense that he does not personally find that stage of Bolitho's career as sufficiently interesting.
Given that he had placed Bolitho aboard a first-rate to begin his career, most likely stationed with the channel fleet, it might be a challenge for Reeman to find sufficient cause for Bolitho to be engaged in adventures of sufficient import to merit a book. (not that the initial three midshipman books are more than extended short stories). I think he may feel Bolitho's youngest days have been sufficiently explained in other books with his recalling certain adventures and misadventures.
He did not respond in any manner to a query about Captain James and his experiences.

Charity

Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:26 pm
Midshipman

I expect you're right about the enemy, Don. It's most likely one of Richard's. Some of them just sort of faded away after all. Whatever became of Sir Samuel Damerum anyway? He tried to kill Adam once in The Inshore Squadron. If he's still alive he might try again.

And I've tried contacting him twice, being very polite and respectful on both occasions. He has not seen fit to reply.

Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:10 pm
Profile WWW
Commander

I'll stick my two-pence in here and say the enemy will be one with long-standing animosity against the Bolitho family. Quite likely the brother or some other relative of the man Hugh killed in that long-ago duel.

Or, to really go out on a limb, Keen will learn that Adam slept with Zenoria and come after Adam. As (difficult to understand as it was) close as Keen and Richard were, Keen was never as close to Adam as one would have thought, given their relationship as flag officer-flag captain.

The enemy will not, in any way, shape or form, be Herrick. Richard is dead and Thomas was as much a father-figure to Adam as Richard was. Having him at the estate will/would be a great comfort to Adam, I'd think.

As I said, just my two-pence worth there,

Charity

Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:32 am
Commander

Sir James Hamett-Parker -- the one-time Admiralty official who gave Richard Aaron Trevenen as flag captain aboard Valkyrie, a sour pairing of flag officer and commanding officer if ever there was one -- could be the villain in the next book.

Or Sillitoe, having slipped the noose as a slaver, may finally reveal himself as the man behind the grand scheme to prevent Richard from ever finding happiness. (It could even be revealed that it was Sillitoe's pet rabbit that spooked the carriage horses on the day that Cheney died.)

Charity

Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:11 am
Midshipman

But Sillitoe and his pet rabbit? Sorry, Charity, I think you're pushing things there. :lol:

Nice try though. :wink:

Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:02 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2