View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Bounty Replica Lost 
Admin

Post Bounty Replica Lost
Very sorry to hear about this. Hopefully, all of the crew members are recovered.

HMS Bounty Abandoned, Sinks in Heavy Seas off Hatteras, 2 Still Missing

Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:26 pm
Profile YIM
Lieutenant

Post Re: Bounty Replica Lost
Heartbroken.
I know all but 2 of the current crew. Claudene Christian was found some hours later & prononced dead at hospital. She was a sweet soul. Captain Robin is still missing. He was a very good friend. Which is why I haven't slept much in 2 days & am up at 5:30 a.m. trawling around the internet for news & winding up here. Coast Guard are still searching, but it's going on for 48 hours. A horrible, horrible day.
Back in the age of sail a captain who lost his ship only had to face the admiralty or the merchant ship owners. Not hundreds of thousands of armchair admirals blaming, cursing, judging, vilifying. Yes, there will be an investigation & questions asked. But what sickens me worse than the thought of never seeing these 2 friends again is the quantity of mean-spirited vapouring going on on the ship's facebook page & every other news story page open for comments. They are already making Robin the scapegoat & he is not here to defend himself; it's not fair. I can't imagine how this is for his family. They are devastated.

...life on land is DRY :(

Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:37 am
Lieutenant

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/no ... -suspended

While I am thankful so many were rescued, I will never see two good friends again. I sit on the beach and watch the tide ebb away. I leave my tears there with it. There is a ...thing... in my chest; I can't breathe.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:20 am
Admin

Alison,

I'm so very sorry to hear that this terrible accident has affected you in such a personal way. It's sad enough to hear that a ship has gone down, but I can't begin to imagine how you must feel at this moment.

I am pretty disgusted at the rush to judgement. Someone asked me what I thought. How can anyone comment, not knowing all the facts?

Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:47 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

My commiserations, too, Alison. I was away last week and wasn't aware the vessel had gone down. I saw little of tv news, and, then only what had happened to New York.

My thoughts are with you,
Mil

Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:52 am
Profile YIM

On December 5, 2012, The Weather Channel will present "Coast Guard: HMS Bounty Rescue".

CLICK HERE

Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:38 pm
Lieutenant

One of the regular contributors to Marhst-L, Doug Faunt, was one of those rescued. He has just posted a message on Marhst, and there is also a link to an 11 minute video of clips from the rescuing helicopter. As someone commented: "Very slick in those conditions - sure glad that it was daylight. Rescue swimmer certainly earned his pay."

Martin

Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:52 pm
Profile WWW
Lieutenant

Guys, thanks for your thoughts for the crew & friends of Bounty. It was starting to become something of a second home, as I'd volunteer-crewed aboard 5 times. Just said goodbye to everyone in early Sept. Never imagined it would be for the last time.
Please pass this on wherever you can... it's a fundraising effort for the survivors & the families of the two lost.
Bounty relief fund

Since posting last, I've been down to Fall River, MA, for the memorial service. About 350 people attended the service, including crew from years past. The wake was held at St. James' pub in Fall River which opened just for us, with probably 100+ people, & went on for 6+ hours. It was good to see so many familiar faces. Many hugs, many tears. As someone else said, "There's a Bounty-sized hole in my heart." Looking at photos of the ship, it still seems unreal that it and my friends are gone, that none of the Bounty family will sail her again; if only one could go back in time and change the course of things.
The Weather Channel program is well worth watching, even though it's difficult. The 3 survivors interviewed, and the Coast Guard team members, describe a harrowing experience.
The formal Coast Guard hearing will be held in Portsmouth, VA, Feb. 12-21.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]