View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 National Maritime Museum, Greenwich 
Lieutenant

Post National Maritime Museum, Greenwich
If anyone clicks on the http://www.nmm.ac.uk link, you will be taken seamlessly to the new Royal Museums Greenwich web-site at:

http://www.rmg.co.uk/

The group is made up of the NMM, the Royal Observatory and the Queen's House. The Cutty Sark will be joining the group too, when she reopens to the public later this April.

The revamped web-site is quite slick, but it seems to have had problems with the new Collections database. I remember thinking that the old search facility was a bit clunky, but several serious researchers have been registering complaints about the new one since January. See the:

National Maritime Museums Collections blog

A particular irritation for several people doing map and chart research is the loss of high resolution images. The NMM has long had a poor reputation for excessive costs to anyone wanting access to detailed images. It seems that the new policy for access to the Collections images is an extension of this need to generate income for the museum.

Martin

Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:22 pm
Profile WWW
Admin

Post Re: National Maritime Museum, Greenwich
Thanks for the update Martin. I found the site hard to use before. Reading just the first few blog comments...I guess things are worse. :(

ETA: I poked around a little bit. First impression...some things are the same/worse but there seems to be improvements in other areas.

Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:00 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]